Abbey Hall was built in 1939 with funds provided by Emily Abbey, who also gave money for the renovation of the chapel in 1937. It was designed by Douglas Orr, who also designed Buckland and Torrey. Abbey Hall houses 89 students in single, double, and triple configurations, on three floors. Abbey also houses a small number of Frances Perkins students, who are students of non-traditional age returning to college. Abbey's third floor is designated as a quiet floor, where residents agree to a higher standard of quiet 24 hours a day. Abbey shares a large dining hall with Buckland Hall, which can be made more intimate by closing a sliding door.
Abbey is one of two residence halls on the south side of Mary Woolley Hall and Chapin Auditorium (where many campus events are held), as well as Rooke Theater and Pratt Music Building. It is also near Gorse, the primary student parking lot on campus.