As a result of an eight-month reconstruction, Carr Laboratory has become a true crossroads of the sciences, a place where adjacent labs and offices and shared equipment encourage interactions among faculty and students with overlapping research interests. Carr represents the second phase of the $36-million science center project, following the fall 2002 opening of Kendade Hall. The subsequent phases, the renovation and reconstruction of Shattuck and Cleveland Halls, were completed in September 2003.
Carr is one of a few campus science buildings built in accordance with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) criteria for a “green building,” as established by the United States Green Building Council, an international organization that includes representation from construction, environmental, architectural, financial, and manufacturing firms. Some of its environment-friendly features are obvious, such as the showers provided for those who commute by bicycle. Others are more subtle, such as the floor tile of recycled materials, the new-growth wood cabinetry, and the energy-efficient windows.
Like Shattuck Hall and Clapp Laboratory, Carr is named for a pioneering woman scientist, Emma Perry Carr, class of 1902, a distinguished chemistry professor from 1905 to 1946.