The main building of the Mount Holyoke College libraries, Williston Memorial Library was built in 1905 and has undergone several renovations and expansions, including the addition of the 33,000-square-foot wing completed in 1992 and the addition of the Information Commons in 2003. The Williston Library and Miles-Smith wing offer pleasant spaces for study, some private rooms for collaboration, and classrooms for course instruction. Also housed here is the Writing Center, where students receive assistance with their writing from faculty and trained student assistants. Recent building projects have equipped the library with an infrastructure that supports the latest computer technologies.
Named for A. Lyman Williston in 1917, Williston Memorial Library was built on the site of the 1870 library. The main reading room, built in 1905, was designed to resemble Westminster Hall, an early English legal chamber. The library's atrium, part of the 1992 renovation project, is modeled after the Medici Library in Florence, Italy. A sixteenth-century wellhead standing at the center of the court has a Latin inscription chiseled into one of its panels, which when translated reads, "You who are thirsty, come and drink freely." This inscription is the library's motto.