The Orchards Golf Club
Originally built in 1916 and renovated in 2000
In 1922, Holyoke industrialist Joseph A. Skinner decided that his daughter Elisabeth, an avid and talented golfer, should have her own course. Wanting the very best, Skinner called upon Donald J. Ross, the Frank Lloyd Wright of early twentieth-century golf course architects. He provided Ross with a rolling 200-acre site across the road from his summer estate, just north of the Mount Holyoke campus. The course became known as The Orchards, for the rows of apple trees Skinner planted there in the early years. Mount Holyoke students have taken golf lessons at the course since it first opened.
Joseph A. Skinner enjoyed a long relationship with Mount Holyoke. He served as president of its board of trustees from 1912 to 1931. At the time of his death in 1941, The Orchards was sold to the College for the modest sum of $25,000.