Porter Hall is one of the first residence halls built after the fire that destroyed the seminary building in 1897, and one of a trio (Brigham, Safford, and Porter). Porter Hall was designed by C. Putnam Karr and named for Deacon Porter, a trustee from 1836 to 1877. Porter was in charge of buildings on the Board of Trustees and was Mary Lyon's chief accounting advisor and her good friend. Porter Hall was renovated in 1987, and no longer houses students on the first floor of the building. Porter Hall houses 97 students on three floors and a basement, in single, double, and triple rooms. Porter is known for its excellent location on campus, right next to Blanchard Student Center and most classrooms on campus, as well as very close to Williston Memorial Library. The rooms feature hardwood floors and vary in size like many of the other older residence halls.