Safford Hall is the second oldest residence hall on campus, built in 1897. It is one of a trio of Brigham, Safford, and Porter Halls. It was named for Deacon Daniel Safford and his wife. Deacon Safford was a contributor to the college from 1836, when Mary Lyon presented her plans for Mount Holyoke Female Seminary to him in Boston. He was a trustee of the college from 1837-1856. Safford Hall was built in the style of the renaissance movement in England. The dining hall was added in 1920. Safford was renovated in 2008 with complete bathroom renovations, reconfiguration of the former dining area and kitchen, rewiring of the entire building, installation of a complete new fire sprinkler system and new heating system and temperature control upgrade.
Safford Hall houses 69 students in single and double rooms on three floors. Safford is known for its small size and intimate atmosphere. It is known for its beautiful common areas and location on campus. Safford is located between the academic green and Skinner Green, the center of campus. It is close to most classrooms and Blanchard Student Center, as well as Williston Memorial Library. Safford is also the home to the Office of Residential Life, the Ombudsperson, and the Learning Skills lab.