The Mount Holyoke College Botanic Garden includes a 6,000-square-foot glasshouse complex, a solar greenhouse, a 250-acre collection of living woody and herbaceous plants, and 550 acres of relatively undisturbed natural communities.
Built in 1899, the Talcott Greenhouse was given by James Talcott of New York "for studying nature." A plant laboratory addition, a gift of the Misses Wright, was dedicated in 1980. The greenhouse was renovated in 1997.
With a living collection of plants from around the world, the Talcott Greenhouse is a valuable teaching resource that also supports faculty and student plant research.