Using Tents on Campus Grounds
Tents are a fun and attractive addition to all kinds of events on campus. However, commercial grade tents are typically fastened to the ground with long (36”) stakes. These stakes pose a threat to the College underground utility systems. A chance collision between a tent stake and one of our systems can pose a threat to the installer and the tent users.
Tents that utilize these stakes are subject to the Massachusetts “DigSafe” laws, and require a DigSafe inspection and assigned number prior to being erected. This permit process insures that nearby underground utilities will be properly marked so as to avoid damaged systems or harm to individuals. Facilities Management has determined that any stake 8 inches or greater in length poses a hazard to our utility systems, and this will represent our point of applicability.
- Any tent secured with stakes 8" or longer must be DigSafed before erected.
- Application must be made using the FM form at least 2 weeks prior to the event.
- No tent shall be erected before the application has been approved. This requires an inspection by FM and any outside utilities (i.e. Bay State Gas, South Hadley Electric) affected.
- The approved application must be available from the sponsoring Person/Dept until the tent is removed.
- Contact Facilities Management Office or use the DigSafe events (Tents) application.
- Fill out the form completely and return to Facilities Management office at least two weeks prior to the event.
- After all necessary inspections have been made and a DigSafe number has been issued the application will be returned to the sponsoring department.
- With this approved application the sponsoring department may proceed with having the tent erected.
- Keep the approved application available for the duration of the event.
Facilities Management thanks you for your cooperation, and encourages you to contact us at 2012 if you have any questions.