The Dorothy R. and Norman E. McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives
Mount Holyoke has a long and proud history of international engagement. The first international student enrolled in 1839, two years after the founding of the college; the first student went to study abroad in 1928 (to Paris); President Mary Woolley was the only female participant in the U.S. government delegation to the international disarmament conference in Geneva in 1932; and, in 1949, politics professor Ruth Lawson established the first Mount Holyoke international internship program.
Over the decades Mount Holyoke developed a rich array of internationally-focused curricular and co-curricular offerings. Then in 2003, our faculty and trustees decided that the realities of an increasingly globalizing world demanded that we make comprehensive internationalization a strategic priority. The college established the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives [Dedication Photo Gallery] to implement internationalization within the entire community of faculty, students, staff, and alumnae and to extend MHC’s international involvement to a network of organizations around the globe that focus on social justice, health, business, environment, culture, science and technology, and share MHC’s values and principles.
In collaboration with our faculty and staff colleagues, support from the College leadership and alumnae, and in partnership with foundations and organizations around the world, we have been weaving global education into the fabric of a Mount Holyoke education.