Campus Updates

Visit the campus updates page for information on Mount Holyoke's response to the global pandemic. 

International Students and Disabilities

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) states that no qualified individual with a disability may be denied access to or participation in services, programs and activities.  At Mount Holyoke College this applies to all students, both international and domestic, and covers all areas of campus life including academics, student employment, student programming and other services.

The McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives works closely with AccessAbility Services to ensure that international students who have a documented disability receive the accommodations they need so that they can learn to their highest potential and achieve their long-term goals.

We encourage students and their families to watch this video from Mobility International, USA to understand that asking for an accommodation is a positive step towards ensuring success at Mount Holyoke and beyond.

A disability is a condition such as blindness or visual impairment, deafness or hearing difficulties, ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, medical, mobility, physical, psychological, or another chronic condition as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (see above).

Mount Holyoke students who request accommodations due to a disability must provide written, diagnostic evidence of the disability from a credentialed professional who is qualified by education and training to make such an evaluation.  The following page describes documentation standards and provides other very useful information.  If you think you have a disability, but don't have any documentation, please speak to someone in AccessAbility Services (B4 Wilder Hall) for assistance.

Most international students will go through periods of adjustment as they transition from life in their home country to life in the U.S.  Due to cultural differences it is sometimes the case that international students find it uncomfortable to seek help from "strangers."  They may also feel embarrassed or ashamed if they need to ask for help of any kind.

International students who think they may qualify for an accommodation due to a documented disability should register with AccessAbility Services.