The OPT STEM Extension is a 24 month extension of post-completion OPT (for a total eligibility of up to 36 months) available to eligible F-1 students (students with STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics majors). You must be working for an employer that is part of the Everify system and they must be willing to complete and adhere to the Form I-983. The employment must be regular, paid employment.
Please note that the special major of Economics and Mathematics or Statistics and the Psychology major offered here at MHC are not considered STEM majors.
Here is a powerpoint presentation that has information on eligibility and requirements for the OPT STEM Extension
When to apply
- USCIS must receive the completed application by the end date of the student's current 12-month OPT
- Students may apply as early as 90 before their OPT EAD end date
- OPT will be automatically extended for up to 150 days while the STEM OPT application is pending, however, to travel, students must have an unexpired EAD card
How to Apply
- Have employer complete an I-983 Form. Email or mail the completed form to Jenny Medina
- Complete the STEM OPT Request form . We will need this completed to process your new STEM extension request I-20 form
- Prepare and collect all application materials (new I-20 form, official transcript showing STEM field, copies of immigration documents, passport, ead card, I-94)
- Mail completed application to USCIS before the end date of the current 12-month EAD (we will mail you instructions on what to send in with your new I-20 form)