Campus Updates

Visit the campus updates page for information on Mount Holyoke's response to the global pandemic. 

Social Security Cards

Photo of a social security card

If you are on work study and work on campus (or if you get a job on campus), or if you have a Global Loan, you must have a social security number.  You should read International Students and Social Security Numbers, published by the Social Security Administration, for more information about social security cards.

You do not have to have a social security card in order to apply for a Massachusetts Driver's License. If you can't apply for a social security card because you don't have an on-campus job and can't get an employer letter, you can apply for a Denial Notice, which you can use in place of a social security card when you apply for a Learner's Permit.

You can apply for a social security number at the Social Security Office, 200 High Street, Holyoke, MA 01040. The office is open Monday-Friday from 9 am-4 pm.

**IMPORTANT** You must have an on-campus job in order to apply for a social security card. Please read Finding an On-Campus Job carefully to acquaint yourself with student employment policies and procedures. All on-campus job opportunities are posted on the Student Employment database called JobX. Note that even if you not receiving financial aid, you may apply for an on-campus position.  

When applying for a Social Security Card, you need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Application for a Social Security card
    As an example here is a link to a sample social security card application that has been filled out
  • Your valid passport
  • Your entry stamp (in your passport)--note that you don't have to print out your I-94
  • Your I-20 form (if you are on a F-1 visa) or your DS-2019 form (If you are on a J-1 visa)
  • Paper copy of the bio page of your passport
  • Paper copy of your I-20
  • A letter from the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives. We will provide this letter to all new students applying for a SS card on campus. If you are an upperclass student who has never applied for a social security card, or if you have lost your card, you should email the McCulloch Center and will prepare a letter for you.
  • A letter from your on-campus employer (on the employer's stationery) confirming that you have a job (or job offer) on campus. This letter needs to be printed on your employer's MHC letterhead stationery and be signed by your employer. Your employer should download the letter (select link above), print it out on the office's MHC letterhead stationery, fill it out, and give it back to you.

**IMPORTANT** -- if you already applied for and received a social security card, you don't have to apply again *unless* you have lost your card. If you have lost your card, you must reapply and again follow all of the steps outlined above.