If you are on work study and work on campus (or if you get a job on campus), or if you have a Global Loan, you must have a social security number. You should read International Students and Social Security Numbers, published by the Social Security Administration, for more information about social security cards.
There will be an opportunity during the fall and spring semesters to apply for a social security card on campus. Early in the fall semester and once again early in spring semester several staff members from the Holyoke Social Security Office will be on campus to assist you in applying for your social security card. You will receive an email with more specifics in mid-September and early February.
If you have access to transportation, you may apply for a social security number yourself by going to the Holyoke Social Security Office at 200 High Street. Their new hours are: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9-3pm and Wed. 9-12. For a small fee ($1.25) you can also take the Tiger Trolley to the Holyoke Transportation Center (HTC) and walk to the Social Security Office, since High Street is the next street over from the Transportation Center.
**IMPORTANT** You must have an on-campus job in order to apply for a social security card. Please read Finding an On-Campus Job carefully to acquaint yourself with student employment policies and procedures. All on-campus job opportunities are posted on the Student Employment database called JobX. Note that even if you not receiving financial aid, you may apply for an on-campus position.
When applying for a Social Security Card, you need to bring the following documents with you:
- Application for a Social Security card (fill out online, print and sign); check out the sample version before you fill out an application
- Your valid passport
- Your entry stamp (in your passport)--note that you don't have to print out your I-94
- Your I-20 form (if you are on a F-1 visa) or your DS-2019 form (If you are on a J-1 visa)
- A letter from the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives. We will provide this letter to all NEW students applying for a SS card on campus. If you are an upperclass student who has never applied for a social security card, or if you have lost your card, you should email Donna Van Handle who will prepare a letter for you.
- A letter from your on-campus employer (on the employer's stationery) confirming that you have a job (or job offer) on campus. This letter needs to be printed on your employer's MHC letterhead stationery and be signed by your job supervisor. Your employer should download the letter (select link above), print it out on the office's MHC letterhead stationery, fill it out, and give it back to you.
**IMPORTANT** -- if you already applied for and received a social security card, you don't have to apply again *unless* you have lost your card. If you have lost your card, you must reapply and again follow all of the steps outlined above.