Learning Abroad for German Studies Majors and Minors

The German Studies Department strongly encourages all of its majors and minors to take advantage of a learning opportunity abroad in a German-speaking country. Learning abroad will provide unique study and/or research opportunities that will greatly expand a student’s understanding of, and engagement with, the language and culture of the countries where German is spoken. By immersing themselves in the culture and language, students will engage in crosscultural learning and develop competencies necessary for international careers and true citizenship in a global world.

Note that students planning to study abroad must normally elect at least one German studies course in each semester prior to their semester or year abroad.

Any student of German studies will benefit from combining language study with first-hand experience of the complex workings of German-speaking cultures, past and present, within the context of global change. Study abroad deepens academic experience by creating opportunities to challenge theory and to engage practice.

--Karen Remmler

Study Abroad

Where to Study:
The German Studies Department recommends Mount Holyoke’s exchange partner in Germany, the University of Leipzig.  Mount Holyoke may nominate students to study for a full academic year or spring semester:

  • Universität Leipzig: Mount Holyoke students may apply to study on exchange at the University of Leipzig for a full academic year or for second semester.  The number of exchange places is limited (generally two to four students per year), but the College typically is able to nominate all qualified students.  Application for the exchange is open to qualified students regardless of their financial aid status. The exchange student pays a reduced tuition rate to MHC; no tuition is paid to Leipzig.  Students on need-based financial aid are guaranteed Laurel Fellowships.  At Leipzig's discretion, MHC may designate one exchange student to receive a stipend from the University to help cover living expenses.  The student selected for the exchange is also eligible for a Barrett Travel Award ($1,000.00) to cover travel expenses.  

Students may also choose to apply to one of the other approved programs in a German-speaking country.

For a list of where past and present German studies majors have studied and a summary of the courses that they took abroad, check this searchable database. Note that this is not a definitive list of what is possible and should serve only as a useful guide and planning resource.

When to Study:
Most students elect to study in a German-speaking country in their junior year. The department strongly encourages all majors or potential majors to spend an entire year abroad. Some double majors may elect to spend only one semester abroad. However, since the fall semester in German-speaking countries often lasts until mid-February and therefore conflicts with the spring semester here, students who decide to study abroad for one semester ordinarily will need to do so in the spring. Currently, the only approved program for direct enrollment in a German university for fall semester only is the University of Mannheim (through the University of Massachusetts Baden-Württemberg exchange); students may also apply to approved IES programs for the fall semester, but will be limited to program courses (which end in December) and will not be able to enroll in university courses.

Credit Transfer:

Please read the credit transfer page on the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives' web site for general information about study abroad credit transfer. For the German major or minor, please note that courses taught in German, and whose topic has to do with German studies broadly defined, will generally be accepted for 200 or 300-level credit toward the German studies major or minor. Students should keep in close touch with their advisor(s) before and during their time abroad, especially when they are in the process of selecting courses, to determine whether a particular course could potentially count towards the major or minor. Note that students can normally not count more than two courses taken abroad for 300-level credit towards the German studies major. Students should consult the department's Study Abroad Guidelines for more detailed information on credit transfer.

Summer Internships and Research Abroad

A summer internship or research project in a German-speaking country allows students to use the German language and to apply what they have learned to explore possible career paths. It is also a wonderful opportunity to engage with other German speakers in a different cultural context. The department maintains a Web page with the most up-to-date internship and scholarship opportunities for students who would like to pursue a summer internship in a German-speaking country.

The DAAD RISE program offers funded summer research opportunities in Germany for students in the sciences.

Students have the option of developing their own summer internship or research project. Support for unpaid opportunities is available through the Universal Application Funding (UAF), which offers students access to funding from a variety of College fellowship sources to cover travel and living expenses for the duration of the project. Students with a family contribution of less than $5000 may also receive a $500 grant to apply towards their summer earnings contribution. Both the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives and the Career Development Center have student evaluations of past international internships on file.