Campus Updates

Visit the campus updates page for information on Mount Holyoke's response to the global pandemic. 

Japan Women's University in Tokyo, Japan

Mount Holyoke has an agreement with Japan Women's University for the reciprocal exchange of students for a full academic year or spring semester. The number of exchange places available is limited, and depends on whether JWU will have a student wishing to come to Mount Holyoke at the same time. Application for the exchange is open to all qualified students regardless of their financial aid status.

About Japan Women's University

  • Founded in 1901
  • Oldest and largest private university for women in Japan
  • Approximately 6,000 students (50 international students)
  • International division located on Mejiro campus, 15 minutes from Mejiro Station (in the residential and educational ward of Bunkyo)

City of Tokyo

  • Capital of Japan, population about 13 million
  • Located on the eastern side of the main island of Honshu

Academic Program

  • Two semesters: first semester runs from early April to late July, second semester from late September to late January
  • Students may apply for the period January to December, or April to February
  • Courses taught in English focus on Japanese language and culture
  • Students who are proficient in Japanese may enroll in regular courses offered to degree-seeking students (course offerings include English, history, psychology, education, sociology, mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biological sciences)

Living Arrangements

  • Exchange students are guaranteed housing in a JWU dormitory, with a host family, or in a private student residence


  • Minimum GPA of 3.0
  • Must have completed sophomore year (or at least three semesters, for spring entrants) prior to enrolling at JWU
  • Must have taken at least one year of Japanese language study, though the exchange is best for students with a high level of language proficiency who will be prepared to enroll in regular JWU courses

Financial Arrangements

  • Exchange student pays MHC tuition and JWU waives its tuition, if JWU has a student to come to MHC at the same time; otherwise, MHC student may apply to JWU as a visiting student and will pay JWU tuition
  • Exchange student pays directly for room and hall fees, and is responsible for her own meals, as well as nominal university fees, round-trip travel to Japan, books, and personal expenses
  • Students selected to study at JWU as exchange students who are eligible for need-based financial aid are guaranteed Laurel Fellowships; financial aid award will be based on total budget, including MHC tuition, MHC administrative fee, any nominal JWU fees, and allowances toward room and board, books, personal expenses, and round-trip airfare
  • Students receiving merit aid (which ordinarily does not travel) may use that aid on the JWU exchange

How to Apply

  • Submit Mount Holyoke's Request to Study Abroad (including the Laurel Fellowship application, if applicable) in MyMountHolyoke according to the instructions on the Deadlines page
  • Students will be notified by the McCulloch Center whether they have been selected for the exchange
  • Exchange nominee will then complete the JWU application and submit it to the McCulloch Center for forwarding to JWU (students must also be accepted by JWU)