Outside Scholarships

We strongly encourage all students to apply for scholarships from other sources. In particular, all students applying for Laurel Fellowships are expected to apply for aid from their program (if available) and for the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarships for Undergraduate Study Abroad (if eligible).  If a student is awarded a Laurel Fellowship, an outside award does not reduce her family contribution, but helps Mount Holyoke stretch its Laurel Fellowship dollars to fund more students.

Program Scholarships/Financial Aid

Many Mount Holyoke students have received merit- and need-based scholarships from their study abroad programs, including several of the ones listed below. Awards typically range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.  For a student who has been awarded a Laurel Fellowship, a program scholarship will reduce the program budget and therefore reduce her Laurel grant eligibility dollar for dollar.

Note that this list includes some organizations and universities that sponsor programs in multiple locations; check the list of approved programs to see which of those locations Mount Holyoke approves for credit.

Outside/National Scholarships

Many of the most well-known national awards for study abroad (Fulbright, Marshall, Rhodes, etc.) are restricted to graduate study, but the following awards are open to undergraduates. Mount Holyoke's National Fellowships and Graduate School Advisor coordinates applications for most awards requiring nomination by the College, and can offer assistance with many other applications as well.

For a student who has been awarded a Laurel Fellowship, outside scholarships will be treated according to the College's usual policies, and will first be used to reduce the student's need-based loans.  If the outside scholarship exceeds the amount of the need-based loans, the remainder reduces the Laurel grant dollar for dollar.  Students should not underestimate the value of an outside award even though it will not necessarily increase their resources toward the program abroad: an outside award will reduce the student's loan, and will also enhance her resume.

  • Association of Teachers of Japanese Awards for study in Japan. Bridging Scholarships are open to US citizens or permanent residents. Stipends are $2,500 for a semester program, $4,000 for a year-long program in Japan.
  • David L. Boren NSEP (National Security Education Program) Scholarships. Open to US citizens for study in geographical areas, languages, and fields of study deemed critical to US national security. (Eligible countries are located primarily in Africa, Asia, Central/Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.) Awards are given for summer, semester, or academic year study (up to $10,000 per semester). Nomination is required; see MHC's National Fellowships office for details.
  • BUTEX Scholarships for North American Students. Open to undergraduate students currently enrolled at an institution in the US or Canada, for study for a semester or academic year at a BUTEX-affiliated institution in the UK. Each scholarship is for 500 pounds, payable after awardees have arrived and registered at the host university.
  • CIEE Global Access Initiative (GAIN) Scholarships.  Open to students who are economically challenged, from diverse backgrounds, or academic majors underrepresented in study abroad.  Awards range from $1,000-$5,000.  (Eligible MHC-approved programs include locations in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Europe.)
  • CIEE Language Intensive Focus Track (LIFT) Scholarships.  Open to students applying to full-year language intensive programs.  Minimum award is $5,000.  (Eligible MHC-approved programs include locations in the Middle East, Asia, and Latin America.)
  • DAAD German Academic Exchange Service offers awards for semester or year study, senior thesis research, and/or internships in Germany, with preference for projects or programs based at or organized by a German university. Open to students with sophomore or junior standing at the time of application; students generally must be US or Canadian citizens, though foreign nationals may be eligible to apply if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian institution for more than one year and will return to the US or Canada to complete their Bachelor’s degree after the scholarship period.
  • Diversity Abroad offers $500 awards for semester or summer study or an internship at a member program or university. Open to US citizens and permanent residents who have a GPA of 2.75 or better; economically disadvantaged students, African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino, Multiracial/ethnic or Native-American students, as well as students who will study outside of western Europe and Australia, are encouraged to apply. (Not all Diversity Abroad members are approved by MHC for study abroad, so be sure to check our list of approved programs.)
  • The General Federation of Women's Clubs of Massachusetts offers up to $800 in scholarships students whose permanent home is in Massachusetts who will study abroad during the summer, fall, spring, or academic year. Applications are generally due March 1; contact Marta DiBenedetto, Scholarship Chairman.
  • The Benjamin A. Gilman Undergraduate Study Abroad Scholarship. Open to US citizens or nationals who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding. Deadlines are typically in October for spring, in March for summer and fall programs.  Awards cover up to $5,000 for a semester abroad. Students studying "critical need" languages (including Arabic, Chinese, Korean, and Russian) are eligible for an additional award of $3,000. Students should list Joanne Picard, Dean of International Studies, as the study abroad adviser who will endorse their application.
  • GO! Overseas Scholarship.  Open to current students who will be enrolled in a study abroad program of any duration during the coming academic year.  Awards are $1,000.  Selection is based on creativity and analytical thinking as demonstrated through writing samples and/or video submissions. 
  • Humane Studies Fellowship, awarded by the Institute for Humane Studies, which gives scholarships of up to $12,000 for undergraduate or graduate study in the United States or abroad. Applicants must be sophomores or juniors, or seniors planning to enter graduate school directly after graduating from MHC. All nationalities may apply. See MHC's National Fellowships Office for details.
  • Institute for International Public Policy Program, sponsored by the United Negro College Fund, provides underrepresented minority students (African American, Hispanic/Latino American, American Indian, Asian American, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander) with specially designed education and training experiences critical to entry and advancement in international affairs careers. Candidates must have a GPA of at least 3.2 and be US citizens or permanent residents. Nomination is required; see MHC's National Fellowships Office for details.
  • Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Scholarship (Japanese Studies Program, for a year of study in Japan). Awards are open to US citizens between the ages of 18 and 29 who are undergraduate students studying the Japanese language or culture at a university outside of Japan. The scholarship includes round trip airfare, exemption from all school fees, and a monthly stipend of approximately 143,000 yen. Students should apply through the nearest Japanese Consulate; in New England, apply to the Consulate General of Japan at Federal Reserve Plaza, 14th Floor, 600 Atlantic Ave., Boston, MA 02201 (tel: 617-973-9772, fax: 617-542-1329).
  • Rotary Scholarships are offered by the Rotary Foundation for study abroad in many countries around the world. Application deadlines are set by individual clubs and generally are 12 to 15 months prior to the beginning of the program of study. Note that many Rotary clubs sponsor scholarships only for graduate study. Open to many nationalities.
  • US-UK Fulbright Summer Institutes.  Open to US citizens with a GPA of at least 3.5, with at least two years left of their undergraduate studies after completion of the program.  Awards cover the majority of costs (including round-trip airfare, tuition and fees, and room and board) to participate in a summer institute program at a UK university.

Other Resources

To search for other national funding opportunities on-line, try Fastweb and the resources below. Many of the standard reference books, which are not available on-line, are available in the Fellowships Office in Dwight Hall. Note that some of the awards listed are given for study on programs not approved by Mount Holyoke; check our list of approved program before you apply.

  • IIEPassport allows you to search by country or subject for funding for study and research abroad.
  • Diversity Abroad maintains links to study abroad scholarship listings.