Campus Updates

Visit the campus updates page for information on Mount Holyoke's response to the global pandemic. 

Health and Safety Abroad

Your safety abroad starts with your own honest assessment of your health and safety needs, and careful consideration of the political situation and living conditions in your prospective host country.

  • Because students have varying levels of previous experience and comfort with difference, the College believes that it is your responsibility to research the areas in which you are interested and to determine where you would feel comfortable and safe. We have identified some resources to help you locate country- or region-specific information; individual study abroad program sponsors can provide site-specific information and advice. The staff in the McCulloch Center can also help you gather and evaluate information, but the final decision about whether and where to travel is, of course, your own.  Note that for summer internships and research, projects in countries assigned a travel warning by the U.S. Department of State are not eligible for Lynk-UAF funding.     
  • If you have a chronic or recurring health condition (including a learning disability or other condition for which you receive accommodations here), discuss your needs in advance with your health care providers, your family, the staff in the McCulloch Center, AccessAbility Services, and potential host programs/universities. Not all locations will be able to accommodate all needs, and you should take local conditions into account before deciding where to travel.
  • If you take medication, research how you will obtain it abroad.  In many cases, the MHC Health Center or your health care provider can help you obtain a supply sufficient for your stay.  However, some countries have restrictions on what medications can be brought into the country, and some common medications here are not permitted in some places.  Talk with your health care provider, talk to programs, check with AIG Travel Guard, and check the Students Abroad website on the U.S. State Department website for information.
  • For detailed information and resources about health and safety, including the topics below and more, see the McCulloch Center's Study Abroad Moodle site (log in to Moodle, click on Study Abroad under "Miscellaneous," and self-enrol.)

Every student applying for a program of study, research, internship, or other activity abroad will be required to sign a travel waiver as part of the application. You must submit the completed form before we can consider your application. The purpose of the waiver is to verify to the College that you are aware of and understand the potential risks of study or other travel abroad, and that you acknowledge all responsibility for decisions about where and when to travel. Of course, you should consult with your parents/guardians about your plans before you sign the form. If you apply for more than one type of activity (for example, a semester of study abroad, and a summer internship), you will need to submit a signed waiver to the appropriate office for each activity.  Applications for study abroad and for Lynk UAF include links to the waiver, but you may also access it directly on the Five College Risk Management website, along with more information and resources for student travel. 

You are responsible for researching health and safety conditions, required vaccinations, and other preventive measures for travelers abroad. The following websites include country- and region-specific information about health and safety. We encourage you to read local newspapers and other media sources as well.  For additional resources, see the McCulloch Center's Study Abroad Moodle site.

  1. U.S. State Department, Bureau of Consular Affairs
    • Country Specific Information
    • Travel alerts
    • Advice and resources for student travelers
    • Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) 
  2. Centers for Disease Control
  • Country-specific health information
  • Immunization recommendations and other health considerations
  • Five College Risk Management Student International Travel Guide (Note that if you have already been approved or selected for an activity abroad, you have already completed the Travel Waiver described on the website, and you do not need to complete it again.) 
    • Insurance (health insurance, personal property, trip cancelation, general liability)
    • AIG Travel Guard
    • Travel Safety Tips
    • General advice and security
  • The Center for Global Education SAFETI (Safety Abroad First Educational Travel Information) Clearinghouse (links to many travel resources, including an adaptation of Peace Corps materials.
  • Mobility International (resources for travelers with disabilities of all kinds)
  • ASIRT (Association for Safe International Road Travel), promotes awareness of road safety issues abroad and offers country-specific information and advice.
  • It is essential that you have adequate medical insurance coverage while you are abroad. If you have the Mount Holyoke student health insurance plan, it will cover you abroad on an out-of-network basis.  Please refer to the Brochures and Plan Documents for complete details about coverage, limitations, and exclusions. If you have other insurance, make sure that it will cover you abroad for routine and emergency care, mental health, pre-existing conditions, and travel outside your host country.  Be prepared to pay up-front for care and submit receipts for reimbursement. 

    Through Five Colleges Inc., Mount Holyoke is enrolled in AIG/Travel Guard to provide access to travel advice and information and emergency medical and security services to all Mount Holyoke students, faculty, and staff traveling abroad on college-sponsored programs or business.  All students who have been approved for study abroad or funded for an internship or summer research project are included. 

    Please note that while access to information and referrals are free of charge, other services that require an expenditure of funds to another party are offered on a cost basis.  In addition, the contract provides assistance for medical and other emergencies only; it is not health insurance and does not cover the cost of medical care.  For example, if you are ill and need a referral to an English-language medical center, you can call AIG/Travel Guard collect, and they will refer you to the nearest appropriate facility, at no charge to you.  However, AIG/Travel Guard will not cover the cost of the medical care provided to you; you would have to rely on your health insurance or your own resources to cover that cost.

    We strongly recommend that students register with AIG/Travel Guard and sign up for e-mail updates and alerts for their destination.  Registration is easy and free.  Go to the AIG Benefits Solution portal, and click "register here."  You will need to enter your name, e-mail address, organization name (Mount Holyoke College) and policy number (GTP 9144090).  You will receive an e-mail confirmation with a password.  When you log in with the password provided, you will be asked to reset the password.  Students must register in order to access the on-line resources.  Registration is not required to access resources and assistance by telephone, but it may help AIG/Travel Guard assist you more promptly.

    24-Hour Access to AIG/Travel Guard Information and Emergency Assistance

    Students may access AIG/Travel Guard information on-line, or call 24 hours a day from anywhere in the world if they need advice or assistance in accessing medical care or other emergency services.  AIG/Travel Guard maintains a worldwide network of more than 400,000 qualified medical providers around the globe.  Services include referrals to physicians and hospitals, medical case management, emergency prescription replacement, and medical evacuation and repatriation.  Access to information on the AIG/Travel Guard website and telephone consultation with AIG/Travel Guard specialists is available at no charge to you; other services are provided on a cost basis.

    We strongly encourage all students to use AIG/Travel Guard's extensive website in planning their travel abroad.  Resources include:

    1. Country- and city-specific information, such as:
    • Health risks and precautions (required immunizations, food and water safety, etc.)
    • Security advice (US State Department postings, country risk ratings, etc.)
    • Practical and cultural information (public transportation, money, banking, maps, electricity, weather, public holidays, etc.)
    • Local emergency contacts (police, fire, foreign embassies and consulates)
    • Daily news and travel alerts
  • General tips and advice for safe travel
  • Medical translations and drug equivalency information
  • Medical Evacuation and Repatriation

    The Five College plan with AIG/Travel Guard provides coverage for the cost of medical evacuation and repatriation. Medical evacuation generally means emergency transportation to the nearest appropriate care facility in the event that you become injured or seriously ill while traveling abroad, and care is not available in your location.  Repatriation generally means medically assisted travel to a medical facility in your home country, or repatriation of remains.  Arrangements must be coordinated through AIG/Travel Guard and the Five College Risk Management Office for this coverage to apply.  Students are eligible for this coverage at no cost to them even if they have not registered on the AIG/Travel Guard website, but we strongly recommend that all travelers register. 

    Students who are traveling for personal reasons (e.g., summer vacation or spring break) may use the AIG/Travel Guard travel assist services, but are not covered for emergency medical evacuation or repatriation.  Be sure to arrange for this coverage before you depart; it may already be provided by your health insurer (it is included in the MHC Student Health Insurance, for example), and is often available inexpensively through trip insurance packages.