Scholarship & Fellowship Opportunities

Mount Holyoke sponsors summer research fellowship programs that are open to first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and Frances Perkins students who wish to pursue research or certain other kinds of projects during the summer. Some awards are given for work in specific countries or disciplines, others are unrestricted. Students have successfully applied from abroad, but advance planning is helpful. Details about awards and application procedures are available online at MHC National Fellowships. The universal application process enables you to be considered for all awards for which you may be eligible; the deadline for summer 2007 is February 14, 2007.

Major Scholarships And Fellowships For Juniors And Seniors

Students who are currently sophomores should note that there are several scholarship programs in which Mount Holyoke participates for which students must apply during their junior year. Students may apply from outside the country, but must make arrangements to do so well in advance of the deadlines. A sampling of awards is listed below; more information is available from the Career Development Center website; Katerina King, Associate Director for Fellowships and Scholarships, coordinates Mount Holyoke applications and nominations.

  • Barry Goldwater Scholarship. For sophomores and juniors, US citizens or permanent residents in the top quarter of their class, who are preparing for graduate work and careers in mathematics or the natural sciences, for a $7,500 renewable scholarship.
  • Harry S. Truman Scholarship. For juniors who are preparing for a career in government or public service (including teaching and research), for up to $27,000 scholarships for senior year and graduate study. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents, and in the top quarter of their class.
  • All USA Today Academic Teams. For undergraduates who have completed or who are working on an outstanding academic, artistic, or public service project that has been started during the student's college career and has received some type of public recognition or achieved tangible results. Cash prizes.
  • Beinecke Memorial Scholarships. Open to juniors who are US citizens for $32,000 scholarship for graduate study in the arts, humanities or social sciences.
  • Udall Scholarships. Open to sophomores and juniors, in two categories: those who are US citizens or permanent residents preparing for a career in environmental public policy; OR who are Native American or Alaska Native students who intend to pursue a career in health care or tribal policy. Up to $5,000 renewable stipend.
  • UNCF-Merck Science Research Scholarships. Open to African-American students majoring in the life or physical sciences, who are US citizens or permanent residents with a minimum cumulative and major gpa of 3.3 for a $25,000 Scholarship and two $5,000 internships at a Merck research facility.

Students who think they might be interested in applying for any of the major fellowships for graduate study should look into the requirements and application procedures for these awards before they leave campus. Most application deadlines for the awards for study abroad will be early in the fall semester of senior year, and we encourage students interested in any of these awards to begin the application process during the junior year, or the summer between junior and senior years, at the latest. Some of the more prominent awards are listed below; see the MHC National Fellowships online for additional information.

For Study Abroad

  • DAAD Annual Grant. For one year of study in Germany, open to US and Canadian citizens and US permanent residents.
  • Fulbright Scholarship. For one year of study abroad, available in many countries, open to US citizens.
  • Gates Cambridge Scholarships. Open to applicants from every country of the world except the United Kingdom, normally under 30 years of age, for study at the University of Cambridge.
  • Luce Scholars Program. For a one-year professional internship in Asia for individuals with no background in Asian studies, open to US citizens.
  • Marshall Scholarship. For two years of study at any British university, open to US citizens.
  • Mitchell Scholarship. For one year of study in Ireland or Northern Ireland, open to US citizens.
  • Rhodes Scholarship. For two years of study at Oxford University, open to US citizens. (Citizens of other eligible countries must apply in their home countries.)
  • Rotary Scholarship. For three or six months, one year, or up to three years of study abroad; note that students who wish to apply for a Rotary Scholarship for study abroad in the year immediately following their graduation must apply in the spring of junior year. Open to all students who are citizens of countries in which there is a Rotary Foundation.
  • Winston Churchill Foundation Scholarship. For one year of graduate study at Churchill College, Cambridge, in engineering, math, or science. Open to US citizens between 19 and 26.

For Study in the US

  • Jack Kent Cooke Graduate Scholarship. $50,000/year for graduate study in any field. Open to U.S. and international students
  • Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships for Minorities. For US citizens or nationals who are members of a designated minority group for graduate work in the behavioral and social sciences, humanities, and sciences.
  • Mellon Fellowships. For US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents for a first year of graduate work in the humanities.
  • Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans. For green card holders, naturalized citizens, or children of two naturalized citizen parents for graduate study in any subject.
  • For public service:
  • Echoing Green. $60,000 for two years of funding of a public service project anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions of age, citizenship, or grade point average.
  • Samuel Huntington Public Service Award. Open to all graduating students, for a $10,000 stipend for a public service project anywhere in the world.

Use your semester or year abroad to investigate graduate programs if you want to return to the same country; it’s a lot easier to do this while you are there than it will be after you return to Mount Holyoke.