Workers' Compensation Insurance and Benefits

All employees of Mount Holyoke College are covered by the Massachusetts Workers' Compensation Insurance Law which provides for partial income replacement and the payment of medical expenses incurred due to injury or illness arising out of and/or in the course of the performance of their authorized duties. Coverage is automatic upon employment, and the College assumes the total insurance cost of this coverage. You should note that any expenses resulting from a work-related injury (hospital or physician's charges, prescriptions, etc.) should not be submitted to medical insurance carriers (i.e., Blue Cross/Blue Shield), but to the Human Resources Department.

It is essential that you immediately report to your supervisor all accidents or job-related injuries, no matter how minor, in order to protect your rights to appropriate benefits, to protect the College, and to assure the proper handling of claims. You must fill out forms immediately and forward them to the Human Resources Department for official filing. All incidents are reported to the College's Workers' Compensation Administrator, who has the responsibility for investigating all claims. Incidents resulting in lost time of five days or more are reported to the State Division of Industrial Accidents.

If you are entitled to Workers' Compensation benefits, the weekly compensation will be approximately 60% of your average weekly earnings (based upon the year prior to the date of injury), up to a set maximum which usually changes every year.

If you become eligible for Workers' Compensation benefits, you will continue to accrue sick leave and vacation for six months, and the College will continue to pay its share of your health insurance, dental insurance, long-term disability, and group life insurance costs. At the end of the six-month period if you request an extension of your health, dental, long-term disability and life insurance benefits, they will be continued for up to an additional six months provided you pay the full cost.

If you receive medical treatment for a work-related injury at a hospital or medical provider, you should:

  • Inform the provider of services that the injury occurred at work.
  • Request that all bills for service be forwarded to Meadowbrook TPA Associates, 10 New England Business Center, Suite 303, Andover, MA 01810.
  • Submit receipts for prescription medications, crutches, or other medical equipment to Meadowbrook TPA Associates.