Proposals Eligible for Expedited Review
A research project will be reviewed using the Expedited Review Procedure if the project (1) presents no more than minimal risk to human subjects and (2) falls into one or more of the following categories.
Federal guidelines define minimal risk as the probability and magnitude of harm or discomfort anticipated in the research are not greater in and of themselves than those ordinarily encountered in daily life or during the performance of routine physical or psychological examinations or tests.
- Research that collects data from voice, video, digital, or image recordings, or recordings of reaction time;
- Research on individual or group characteristics or behavior, such as research employing survey, interview, oral history, focus group, program evaluation, human factors evaluation, or quality assurance methodology;
- Certain classes of studies involving biological samples
- Certain classes of clinical studies of drugs or medical devices
- Research involving materials that have been collected or will be collected solely for non-research purposes (such as medical diagnoses)