Special Note on Research in Foreign Countries

When faculty, staff, or students conduct research with human subjects in a foreign country, there may be cultural differences that should be considered. Some of the differences are listed below.


When research is to be completed in a language other than English, additional requirements apply.  Please refer to guidelines for projects involving Non-English Speaking Subjects for details.


When subjects are younger than 18 years of age, researchers are required to get written parental permission. However, if local regulations are such that parental permission for research in a school setting would be inappropriate, the researcher must give the Board proof that this is inappropriate. For example, proof could be a letter saying that parental permission would be inappropriate from an authorized official in the country, or from a Mount Holyoke College faculty member who is familiar with the culture.