Special Note on Non-English Speaking Subjects

When subjects do not speak or understand English well, the researcher must prepare documents in the language that subjects can understand. The researcher must provide to the Institutional Review Board a copy of the document(s) in English, a copy in the language to be used, and a letter from an unbiased individual with expertise in the language (e.g., a Mount Holyoke College faculty member) indicating that the translated version is complete and contains the same information as the English version.

If the PI can provide documentation of fluency in a language, the Board will review the documentation and take it under consideration.