The Cooperative Institutional Research Program (CIRP) First Year Survey is a national longitudinal study of the American higher education system. Established in 1966, the CIRP First Year Survey is the nation's largest and oldest empirical study of higher education, involving data on some 1,800 institutions and over 11 million students. It is regarded as the most comprehensive source of information on college students. The annual report of the CIRP First Year Survey provides normative data on each year's entering college students. Mount Holyoke College participated in the CIRP First Year Survey annually since 1971.
In Fall 2004, Mount Holyoke also participated in the College Students' Beliefs and Values Survey as a supplement to the annual CIRP First Year Survey. These surveys were presented together in the same format to the students although the results of both sections were tabulated separately.
In Fall 2006, the CIRP First Year Survey was administered via the Web (in coordination with COFHE) for the first time. Mount Holyoke administered the CIRP First Year Survey in coordination with COFHE again in Fall 2007 and through the Higher Education Research Institute (HERI) in 2008 and 2009. In Fall 2010, Mount Holyoke began to administer the New Student Survey.
Individual-level data for Mount Holyoke students from 1971 to 2003 are archived at the Office of Institutional Research and may be available for research projects.
- 2008 CIRP First Year Survey
- 2007 CIRP First Year Survey
- 2006 CIRP First Year Survey
- 2005 CIRP First Year Survey
- 2004 CSBV First Year Survey
- 2004 CIRP First Year Survey
- 2003 CIRP First Year Survey
Download Restricted Data
Note: to view these data, login with your MHC username and password when prompted.
- 2009 MHC and College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2008 MHC and College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2007 COFHE Peer CIRP Report
- 2007 MHC and College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2006 MHC and College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2005 MHC CIRP Report
- 2005 College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2004 MHC CIRP Report
- 2004 College Comparison CIRP Report
- 2003 MHC CIRP Report
- 2003 College Comparison CIRP Report
- 1971-2006: A Chartbook. A Longitudinal Analysis of Key Variables from the CIRP First-Year Survey
- 1971-2003 MHC CIRP Trends Data