Library Quiet Areas
In order to provide an optimal environment for research and study we have established designated areas throughout the LITS complex for quiet study as well as interactive group work.
Cell phone and pagers must be set to non-audible signals at all times while you are in the LITS complex. Two-way radios should be turned down to their lowest level.
These areas are intended to serve as quiet spaces for individual reading and research. No talking is permitted.
- Library stack floors 3 & 5 Williston
- Library stack floors 6 & 7 Miles-Smith
- Training Room 619 (when not in use for training, workshops or classes)
- The Stimson Room
- The Whiting Alcove
Limited Talking Areas
Typically these are spaces where low-level talking, such as assistance with library resources or consultation and group work is permitted.
- Main Reading Room and the South Mezzanine
- Library stack floors 1, 2, 2 1/2, 4, 6 & 7 Williston
- Library stack floor 1 Miles-Smith
- Rooms 418, 419 & 618 Williston
- New Book area—Williston level 4
These areas are high traffic, high energy areas where talking in normal conversational tones is to be expected.
- The Information Commons
- The MEWS
- The Library Court
- Raos café
These guidelines were developed in response to concerns from students, faculty, and staff about the increased noise in the LITS complex.