LITS strongly recommends you have an up-to-date antivirus software installed on your computer before you connect to the campus network. We offer McAfee Enpoint Protection for Macintosh free of charge via a campus site license. If you use a different anti-virus software on your computer you ar not required to use the MHC McAfee Software.
If you choose to install McAfee you must ensure no other anti-virus software is installed.
- Go to the Applications folder and REVIEW your list of applications. If anything appears to be virus software, ie. Norton, Sophos, AVG, google the name to confirm that the software is virus-scan related and drag the application into the trash to uninstall.
- You will now proceed to install McAfee from our Software Distribution Server, Ambr.
- From "Finder" menu click "Connect to Server" and type smb://ambr/distribution
- When prompted for a username, select "Guest" and click "Connect"
- Open “Anti-virus” and then "macintosh"
- Choose the folder with your operating system version, "McAfee_Anti-Malware X.7-X.10" is most likely what you'll need.
- Drag the "VSM980-RTW-1791.dmg" to your desktop and double click.
- Double click the "VSM980-RTW-1791" folder and then double click "VSM980-RTW-1791.pkg", this will begin the installation process.
- Click "Continue" and "Agree" to the license and accept the default settings
- Click "Install", the installer will ask for your MAC administrator name and password.
- After username/password is entered, the installation will continue to run until it is finished
- Once it is done select "Close"
- You can drag any leftover McAfee folders to the trash to disconnect
When these steps are complete McAfee Enpoint Protection for Mac will be set for automatic updates and protection.