The fall semester of 2020 brought with it enormous challenges, significance and unexpected opportunities. Amid the unexpected everything, zoom fatigue and zoom filters, adjusted expectations, iterations and reiterations, modifications and mods, lessons and decisions, Mount Holyoke made it all count, then we counted.
From mid-March through the fall, in the midst of the pandemic, Mount Holyoke prevailed in its exceptional academic and community offerings, during the most unusual and unpredictable of circumstances. Altogether, the Mount Holyoke College community pulled together to deliver:
- Endless. Beyond human comprehension: The times our community has said the words “YOU’RE MUTED” in Zoom classes and meetings.
- $410,000 and counting for the Student Safety Net Fund to support students during the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis.
- $113,374 to help 298 students afford the travel home after COVID-19 closed our campus.
- 11,400 and counting COVID-19 tests since the launch of our testing center on August 12, 2020.
- 2000+ volunteer alums in support of Mount Holyoke Office of Admission, Advancement, and the Alumnae Association.
- 1,200+ community gatherings and meetings.
- 100+ books, papers and podcasts published by faculty.
- 100+ virtual lectures and presentations.
- 100+ virtual diversity and inclusion events.
- Support for 85+ active student organizations, despite the new challenges of COVID19.
- 50+ remote internships with alums offered through the Career Development Center.
- 50+ virtual concert and performance events.
- 50+ virtual events facilitated by the Alumnae Association attended by 1,500+ alums.
- 40+ virtual conferences and symposiums.
- 11 (at minimum!) traditions reimagined for the virtual world, including the Laurel Parade, Pangy Day, Convocation, Mountain Day, Family and Friends, Milk and Cookies, and Class Colors and Symbols.
- Six class colors and symbols uniting current students and alums.
- Four timely, inspiring 2020 Convocation speeches by members of our community.
- Three modules (so far!) designed and facilitated in the midst of COVID-19.
- One singular Mount Holyoke College experience as the College has endured, evolved, strived and thrived since 1837.
- One top-notch education co-created by one you, nestled within the Mount Holyoke College (virtual, for now) community – and armed with limitless potential.
Your research. Your impact. Your goals. Your class color and symbol. Your internships. Your mentorships. Your friendships.
You are a part of the College’s story as much as the College is a part of yours. You are the future and the future is bright.
See what’s next! Review the College’s plan for 2021.