The Mount Holyoke College Science Center — which encorporates Kendade, Carr and Shattuck Halls — has been recognized by the United States Green Building Council for environmentally responsible design.
The Science Center was awarded certification under the USGBC's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, which was established in 1999 to accelerate the development and implementation of green building practices. The USGBC is the nation's foremost coalition of leaders from across the building industry working to promote buildings that are environmentally responsible, profitable, and healthy places in which to live and work.
Completed in the fall of 2003 at a cost of $34.5 million, the Science Center was one of the nation's first LEED-certified science centers.
The heart of the unified science center, Kendade was completed in 2003 and conforms to LEED standards as a green building.
Built in 1932, Shattuck Hall was renovated in 2003 and now conforms to LEED standards as a green building.
Carr was renovated during the science center project and includes environment-friendly features such as recycled flooring and energy-efficient windows.