Learning Abroad for English Majors

Study Abroad

Where to Study

For a list of where past and present English majors have studied and a summary of the courses that they took abroad, check this searchable database. Note that this is not a definitive list of what is possible and should serve only as a useful guide and planning resource.

Credit Transfer

If you are planning to study away from Mount Holyoke for a semester or a year, discuss your course selections and plans with your advisor. She or he can advise you about what is likely to "count" in the major. It is not necessary to see the department chair before you leave; the department chair cannot guarantee 300-level credit in advance for courses you have taken, what kind of work you have done, and where these courses fit into your major and into the department's requirements. Please also read the credit transfer page on the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives' web site for general information about study abroad credit transfer.

Summer Internships and Research Abroad

A summer internship or research project abroad is a good way for students to apply and develop their skills and explore possible career paths while engaging with cultures and perspectives outside the United States.

Students have the option of developing their own summer internship or research project. Support for unpaid opportunities is available through the Universal Application Form (UAF), which offers students access to funding from a variety of College fellowship sources to cover travel and living expenses for the duration of the project. Students with a family contribution of less than $5000 may also receive a $500 grant to apply towards their summer earnings contribution. Both the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives and the Career Development Center have student evaluations of past international internships on file.