Global Competence Award
Global competence is crucial for successful careers and citizenship in today’s global world. Mount Holyoke offers many amazing opportunities, in and outside the classroom, on and off campus, to advance your global competence.
The Global Competence Award is given to seniors with demonstrated achievement in language learning, cultural immersion, global perspective-taking, and cross-cultural learning. Students must satisfy the following requirements:
1. Language Requirement
Complete at least three courses, in the same language, beyond the language requirement while enrolled at Mount Holyoke. One course taken pass/fail can be accepted.
2. Cultural Immersion
Complete at least one of the following:
- An internationally-focused internship
- An internationally-focused community-based learning project
- Study Abroad
3. Global Perspectives
Complete at least two courses that explore a global issue from different perspectives.
4. Cross-Cultural Learning on Campus
Participate in at least one of the following:
- Live on a language floor
- Participate in the Global Partners' Program
- Be active in a student organization with an international focus (you will need to supply a description of your participation of 300 words or less when you submit your application)
5. Reflective Essay (no more than 750 words)
- Track your progress towards meeting the requirements and submit your application for the Global Competence Award.
- The McCulloch Center certifies that a student has met the criteria for the award. Seniors need to apply for certification by March 1st of their senior year.
- Seniors will receive the award at a special ceremony during Commencement Week.
- The award will be listed in the Commencement program and noted on the transcript.
- If you have questions about whether certain courses or activities will meet the criteria for the award, please contact Jenny Medina (email@example.com) in the McCulloch Center.