Learning Abroad for Film Majors

Why Study Film Abroad? The study of film is an international endeavor. Although copies of many films are available for viewing on campus, there is no substitute for studying a national cinema in the country in which it was made. Not only does study abroad allow students to acquire knowledge of the language, so as not to have to rely on subtitles while viewing, it provides access to the culture and location that gave rise to the film itself.

In addition, access to film festivals and archives abroad provides unparalleled research opportunities. In this time of constant global interchange between national cinemas in both industrial and personal filmmaking, deep exposure to cinemas outside of the U.S. is crucial to an understanding of the medium.

Speak to your advisor as early as possible. Students planning on study abroad as a Five College Film Studies major should speak to their advisors as soon as they become interested.

Study Abroad

Where to Study

This is not a complete list nor can we attest to the merits of each program, but it is a place from which to begin.

Asia and Pacific


Latin America

North America

**Note that although the courses do not count for college credit, the New York Film Academy offers film production courses in cities throughout the world.

For a list of where past and present Film Studies majors have studied and a summary of the courses that they took abroad, check this searchable database. Note that this is not a definitive list of what is possible and should serve only as a useful guide and planning resource.

When to Study

While most students travel during their junior year for either one or two semesters, other options, including summer or J-Term study, are possible.

Credit Transfer

Because of the flexibility of our Five College major, finding suitable courses abroad is relatively easy. The one caveat is that students need to be certain that they take at least four 300-level courses to complete the major during their four years of study. If such advanced courses are taken abroad, students must submit all course material, including the syllabus and written work, to their advisors for approval upon returning. (Note that a student may take no more than one 300 level course while abroad.)

Please read the credit transfer page on the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives' web site for general information about study abroad credit transfer.

For extensive information about study abroad at Mount Holyoke, contact the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives, particularly the study abroad section. Although students are responsible for finding appropriate programs with the assistance of the center, the advisors in the Film Studies Program can provide suggestions and give advice concerning individual universities and schedules.

Summer Internships and Research Abroad

A summer internship or research project abroad is a good way for students to apply and develop their skills and explore possible career paths while engaging with cultures and perspectives outside the United States. 

Students have the option of developing their own summer internship or research project. Support for unpaid opportunities is available through the Lynk Universal Application Form (UAF), which offers students access to funding from a variety of College fellowship sources to cover travel and living expenses for the duration of the project. Students with a family contribution of less than $5000 may also receive a $500 grant to apply towards their summer earnings contribution. Both the McCulloch Center for Global Initiatives and the Career Development Center have student evaluations of past international internships on file.