Q. Do you need to be an EMT to be a MERT member?

A. No! If you are CPR certified and have a first aid certification or similar, you are eligible to be a member of the squad. Many members who join are Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certified, lifeguards, or first responders.

Q. Is the EMT class taught by Mount Holyoke College?

A. No. The class is hosted by Mount Holyoke, but instructors from third party organizations are hired by the MERT director each year. This year’s instructors were contracted by Greenfield Community College to teach the class at Mount Holyoke.

Q. If I take the EMT class, am I required to join MERT?

A. Being a member of the MERT squad after passing the EMT class is not compulsory, but it is encouraged to begin gaining experience in the field.

Q. What kind of calls are common? Is it true that you are only called to help drunk students on the weekend?

A. We respond to a wide variety of calls, only some of which include assessing students who are intoxicated. MERT members are called for very diverse reasons, including various trauma and medical concerns.

Q. If somebody calls MERT for me, will other MHC students see it in the Campus Police log?

A. MERT’s records are completely confidential and protected under patient-medical provider confidentiality. MERT members never share confidential details of calls, such as the name of the patient or any other identifying factors. Further, no confidential medical details are ever published in the Campus Police log.

Q. If MERT is called and I have to take an ambulance to the hospital, how will I pay for the ambulance bill?

A. Since we are all students in Massachusetts, everyone needs to have health insurance. Different health insurance policies have different ambulance co-pays, but your insurance plan most likely offers ambulance coverage. If you have MHC’s health insurance, you can speak to someone at the health center to clarify what your co-pay would be for ambulance services.