The M.A.T. with initial licensure is a 36-credit program that a full-time student can complete in under 11 months, from August to the following June. Part-time students can complete requirements at their own pace, although they will eventually need to complete the program's capstone: a full-time, semester-long teaching practicum during the spring semester. Coursework for the M.A.T. is delivered in 3 sessions: summer, fall, and spring.
Mount Holyoke College offers licensure at the following levels:
- Early Childhood: Grades PreK - 2
- Download the Early Childhood Curriculum Map
- Elementary School: Grades 1 – 6
- Download the Elementary Curriculum Map
- Middle School: Grades 5 – 8
- Download the Middle School Curriculum Map
- Secondary School: Grades 8 – 12
- Download the Secondary School Curriculum Map
Low-residency students have the option of attending classes on campus August - December and completing their spring teaching practicum out of the area, within the state of Massachusetts. Students will work with advisors to identify an appropriate teaching practicum.
While the M.A.T. is designed to be a continuous, 11-month program, part-time students can complete requirements at their own pace. Students will work with an advisor to design a manageable plan to complete program requirements in a way that fits into a busy lifestyle.