Tuition and Fees
The comprehensive course fee for the 2014 South Africa Field Study course is $5,500.
Included in comprehensive course fee: tuition, room and board, local transportation and excursions; see exclusion list below.
- 4 credits awarded by Mount Holyoke Professional and Graduate Education
- The transfer of these credits is subject to the approval of the student’s home institution
- Cost of all instruction (including professors’ time with students prior to departure, in South Africa, and following arrival in US)
Room and Board
- Shared double or triple accommodations in hotel or private school/university residence
- Student lodging in Johannesburg
- Student lodging at the University of Free State in Bloemfontein and QwaQwa
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner group meals; or a stipend on designated days during the entire program in South Africa
Local Transportation and Excursions
- Airport pickup and drop-off in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Group transport from Johannesburg to the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein
- Excursions to important political and historic sites
- Transport for all course-required activities such as school or community internships
- Visit to a game reserve
Not Included in Comprehensive Course Fee
- International airfare (transport between student's home and Johannesburg, South Africa)
- Passport and visa fees
- Books and Supplies
- Personal expenses, including, but not limited to: travel insurance, gifts, extra snacks, medical expenses, daily living incidentals, laundry, cell phones, Internet usage.
All students are strongly encouraged to do some individual research and also check in with their home institutions about scholarships and other financial aid opportunities, as eligibility for assistance is highly dependent on individual circumstances. Students attending college on Pell Grants should apply for Benjamin Gilman Scholarships, starting in mid January 2014.
Please note: The information posted here may be subject to change based on costs and dates of available flights. The website is updated as current information becomes available.