News from the Graduate Programs
Program Spotlight: Commencement
- The Alumnae Association Welcome Ceremony is a Graduate Programs tradition! The Friday afternoon before Commencement, the President of the Alumnae Association welcomes our graduates into the ever-growing network of Mount Holyoke alumnae/i in a small scarving ceremony. Strawberries and cake always follow!
- During the Laurel Parade on the Saturday morning before Commencement, graduates and alumnae/i celebrating their reunion process through campus to the grave of College founder Mary Lyon, where they sing “Bread and Roses.” As they have since 1902, graduates are cheered on by the ranks of alumnae, family and friends. Parade participants wear white, in a long-standing show of solidarity with the suffragists of the early 20th century, plus accessories in their class colors. Graduates often cite this as the College’s most moving tradition.
- Commencement is presided over by the chair of the Board of Trustees and led by the College president. As part of the ceremony, three honorary degrees are presented to distinguished alumnae and others who have made a significant contribution to a specific field or to society. This year the Commencement speakers are: Barbara Smith ’69, Gary Younge and Adrienne Arsht ’63.
Did you know?
- Commencement is live-streamed on our website.
- The Graduate Programs have a reunion every five years. Our next will be in 2023.
- To pass through the Field Gate before you graduate is considered VERY bad luck!
- Even though the Master of Arts in Teaching, Teacher Leadership students reside all over the nation (and the world), they all come to Mount Holyoke for Commencement in May!
- The Master of Arts in Teaching, Initial Licensure graduates receive blank diplomas at Commencement! They won’t receive their real diplomas until their student teaching requirements are fulfilled at the end of June.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching Mathematics program has their graduation celebration in July.
- April 30, 7 - 8:30 pm. Leading Without Leaving (Online) Register here
- May 2, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm. Empowered to Lead Symposium, Uncasville, CT. Sarah Bent is speaking
- May 18 at 9 am. Laurel Parade. Graduates meet near Mary Woolley Hall.
- May 19 at 10:30 am. 182nd Commencement Ceremony, Kendall Fieldhouse. Picnic to follow.