Using the Religious and Spiritual Life Facilities

Abbey Memorial Chapel and Interfaith Sanctuary

Abbey Chapel's primary use is for the Office of Religious and Spiritual Life and the Music Department

Chapel and Sanctuary reservations can be requested by college faculty, staff and students for college events. For information regarding weddings, outside organizations or private events, please see Conference and Event Services 

Reservation forms

Please note that all reservations must be made at least 3 days prior to your event to allow sufficient time to process the request. No reservations will be accepted by any other means than the online form. 

Eliot House

The Eliot House Lounge and Kitchens may be reserved for events by Eliot House-supported faith groups.  Non-Eliot House supported groups must ask a Chaplain or Advisor to complete the reservation form.

The Eliot House kitchens (Main Kitchen, Kosher and Halal kitchens) are commercially licensed by the Town of South Hadley. The Federal, State and local ServSafe Food Regulations must be followed. If you are using a kitchen, the Kitchen Manager and/or a Person in Charge (PIC) will be assigned to work the event. 

The Eliot House Lounge can be used without access to the kitchens.  The only food items that can be served without the use of the kitchens are bottled drinks, store-bought cookies, chips, or whole fruit.  Other foods may be potentially hazardous foods which would require the use of the kitchen and the hiring of a Person In Charge.

Kitchen Policy

Please read this before you make a reservation so that you are aware of everything you need to know before you plan your event.

ORSL Kitchen Use Policy

(Effective September 1, 2016)

We have tried to make this policy workable for all.

We cannot have the Kitchen Manager cleaning up after PICs – we don’t have the funding.

If you have any questions, please contact our Kitchen Manager at

Who Can Use the Kitchens

All members of our Eliot House-supported Faith Groups as well as any other faith groups on campus with the approval of one of our faith advisors.

Person In Charge "PIC"

You will be provided with a Student employee "Person In Charge" who will oversee your cooking. Until we have hired our PICs, John Higgins, our kitchen manager will be your PIC.

Student Cooks

Anyone wishing to cook for their faith group will need to be trained as a "Student Cook".  This will be a shorter version than the PIC training. Until the last Student Cook training class has been held this fall, anyone may serve as a cook.  After that class, only trained Student Cooks may be in the kitchens.

How to Reserve Space for an Event

  1. The event must be organized for the whole faith community.
  2. A Faith group board member needs to send a Reservation Form to the Senior Administrative Assistant.
  3. The names of your Student Cooks will be required on this form.
  4. Reservation forms are available below.
  5. Reservation forms must be filled out and submitted online giving our office staff enough time to make the reservation, request a PIC for your event or let you know that the location is already in use. We prefer a week notice in order to have plenty of time to do the above, and cannot guarantee that the space and PIC will be available for any reservations submitted less than a week before.  Please do not advertise your event until you hear back that your reservation has been approved.
  6. Faith groups not sponsored by Religious & Spiritual Life can contact any one of our faith advisors to support your event and make the reservation for you.  This event needs to be designed for your whole faith/cultural community.  The reservation needs to be approved by a R&SL faith group Advisor and can take place only after the Advisor submits your form.  Please look at the form below and make sure you give the Advisor all the information that is requested on the reservation form.

Ordering Food for the Event

It can often be convenient to have the kitchen manager purchase food for an event.  Since the kitchen manager does not go shopping daily, if you need to request our Kitchen Manager, to purchase food for your Eliot House event, please fill out the new form which is with all of the other forms below. Please be specific or you will get the kitchen manager’s choice.

Thank you for your cooperation! Good luck with your events!

 Sincerely the Religious and Spiritual Life Staff

Reservation forms