Porter Hall

Porter Hall

Porter Hall is one of the first residence halls built after the fire that destroyed the seminary building in 1897, and one of a trio (Brigham, Safford, and Porter). Porter Hall was designed by C. Putnam Karr and named for Deacon Porter, a trustee of the college from 1836 to 1877. Porter was in charge of buildings on the Board of Trustees and was Mary Lyon's chief accounting advisor and her good friend. In 1987 Porter was renovated, and no longer houses students on the first floor of the building. The first floor is now the home of the Sociology and Anthropology Department.

Porter Hall houses 97 students on three floors and a basement, in single, double, and triple rooms. Porter is known for its excellent location on campus, right next to Blanchard Student Center and most classrooms on campus, as well as very close to Williston Memorial Library. The rooms feature hardwood floors and vary in size like many of the other older residence halls.

Year Built 1897
Year Renovated 2010
# of Students 97
# of Floors 4
# of Singles 24
# of Doubles 24
# of Triples 7
# of Quads 1
# of Suites 0
# of Apts. 0
Basement Rooms Yes
# Sharing bathroom 14
Accessible No
Elevator No
Dumbwaiter No
Dining Hall No
Luncheon Center No
Kitchenette 2nd floor
Full Kitchen No
Floor Lounges No
All Classes? Yes
FPs ? No
Quiet Floor No