U.S. citizens and permanent residents file the FAFSA to apply for federal financial aid and the PROFILE to apply for institutional need-based aid. (See information below.)
International students do NOT reapply for financial aid.
Merit aid is renewed automatically for students in good academic standing.
To receive full consideration for need-based institutional funds be sure to follow these application requirements carefully:
- View your requirements: financial aid online. (Financial Aid Online will be available for 2016-17 on February 15, 2016.) Check periodically as requirements may change.
- Look for reminders in your MHC email. We do not mail/email reminders to parents so please share this information.
- Meet the May 1 due date: Late applications are subject to a decrease in grant and an increase in student loan of up to $2,000. Applications completed after July 15th may not receive full consideration for institutional funding.
- FAFSA: MHC school code: 002192
The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal financial aid including grant and loan assistance. When filing the FAFSA, choose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer student and parent federal tax income information directly into your FAFSA. This is an efficient way to meet federal verification requirements and may eliminate our need to collect tax return documents from you. To use this tool, file the FAFSA at least two weeks after filing your tax return electronically with the IRS; six weeks if you file via paper. You may return to your FAFSA and select this option if you did not chose it initially. (Be sure to file your FAFSA before May 1st.) IRS Data Retrieval tutorial.
- CSS / Financial Aid PROFILE: MHC code 3529
The PROFILE is used to determine eligibility for need based institutional financial aid. (Do not file the PROFILE if applying for federal aid only.) If your biological or adoptive parents are separated, divorced, or were never married and do not live together, your noncustodial parent must also complete the PROFILE. For more information please review our non custodial parent policy.
- Federal Tax Return Documents
Federal tax return documents are not required of all current students reapplying for aid. Students who are required to provide tax return documents will be notified to submit tax documents to IDOC, the College Board's Institutional Documentation Service, after the PROFILE is completed. (If we require tax return documents, they must be sent to IDOC, not to our office, even if the IRS data retrieval option was used.) Instructions on how to submit the required documents to IDOC will be provided online while the PROFILE is being completed.
In order to comply with federal regulations, we must collect additional documentation from students who have been selected for verification. (Selection occurs after the FAFSA has been filed.) This documentation consists of a completed, academic year specific Verification Worksheet and a Tax Return Transcript, if the IRS data retrieval option was not used. If you have been selected for verification, the Verification Worksheet will appear as a required document under your financial aid online document tab. You may click on the document link in your documents tab and then print and complete the document. If a tax return transcript is required from you and/or your parent(s) instructions on how to obtain Tax Return Transcripts from the IRS are on page two of the Verification Worksheet. Be sure all federal verification documents are submitted directly to our office by May 1.
- Make sure the FAFSA and the PROFILE are esigned and correct social security numbers are used.
- Students on leave planning to return for the fall and/or spring semester should still complete all requirements by May 1.
Notification of Aid Eligibility
Students with completed applications by May 1 will receive an email with financial aid eligibility information in mid June.
Questions about the application process? We're happy to help you.
To contact us:
Phone: 413-538-2291, phone hours are 9:00am to 4:00pm
Stop by: Walk-in hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm.
(Summer hours are 8:30am to 4:00pm.)
We are located at 16 Skinner Hall.