The FAFSA Verification Process
The FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the federal financial aid form that students complete to apply for federal grants and loans.
If your FAFSA is selected for verification by the Department of Education you are required to provide documentation to us that verifies information you have entered on your FAFSA. Reasons for being selected for verification can include: your FAFSA contains estimated information or inconsistencies, was incomplete or being chosen at random.
Required documentation will vary depending on the information we are required to verify. Typically, if a student's FAFSA is selected, the student/parent(s) must complete a specific Verification Worksheet and if they have filed federal taxes, have used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool or submitted a Tax Transcript from the IRS. (Copies of federal tax returns are not acceptable forms of documentation for verification.) Please check your financial aid online account to determine if we require you to complete verification documents and if we do, which verification form is required. You may download required forms from your financial aid documents page or by selecting the appropriate link below. (If you select a form below, be sure to select the correct verification form required from you. Please check financial aid online first to determine which, if any verification form is required from you.) If your FAFSA was selected for verification be sure to complete the verification requirements in a timely manner so the determination of your eligibility for financial aid or the disbursement of your federal aid is not delayed. We also advise students to check financial aid online periodically as requirements may change.
- Verification Worksheet (Dependent Student)
- Verification Worksheet (Independent Student)
- Verification Child Support PAID (Dependent Student)
- Verification Child Support PAID (Independent Student)
- Verification of Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
- Verification of Household Resources (Dependent)
- Verification of Household Resources (Independent Student)
IRS Data Retrieval Tool
If you did not chose the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when you initially filed your FAFSA do the following:
- Login to fafsa.gov to “Make FAFSA Corrections"
- On the FAFSA, in the Financial Information section, click “Link to IRS’”
- On the IRS website, fill out the form and click on “Transfer my tax information into the FAFSA”
You will be unable to use IRS Data Retrieval Tool if:
- Your marital status changed after December 31, 2014
- You filed an amended return - Submit a signed copy of your return directly to SFS
- You filed married filing separately
- You filed a tax return using a Tax ID Number (TIN)
- You filed a foreign tax return - Submit a signed copy of your return directly to SFS
- The home address on the FAFSA does not match the address on the tax return
IRS Tax Transcript Request Process
Tax filers selected for verification and unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval must request a Tax Return Transcript (NOT an Account Transcript) of their 2014 tax return from the IRS in one of three ways.
1. Request one electronically on the IRS website:
Under Choice 3, click “Order a Transcript” and enter the requested information and continue. Then select "Return Transcript" for 2014.
2. Call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 and follow the prompts to request a Tax Transcript for 2014.
3. File Form 4506T-EZ.
Note: For electronic filers, a 2014 IRS Tax Return Transcript may be requested from the IRS within 2-3 weeks after the return has been accepted by the IRS. The 2014 IRS Tax Return Transcript for those who who file paper returns may take up to 8-10 weeks to be available.
Changes to Your Financial Aid Package after Verification
We are required to resolve any discrepancies found during verification. As a result, your financial aid package can increase or decrease after verification is completed.