First Year Applicants: Eligibility & Application Information

Group of students outside in a discussion circle.

The staff in Student Financial Services is here to help throughout the application process and in managing the cost of a Mount Holyoke education. Please contact us with any questions you may have.

As You Begin the Process:

  • Review our application requirements and Eligibility & Policies
  • Apply on time
  • Indicate your intent to apply for financial aid on your admission application
    To be considered for financial aid from Mount Holyoke you must indicate that you plan to apply for financial aid. If you do not, and once admission decisions are released, you cannot be considered for financial aid until you have completed two semesters at the College. (This policy also applies to applicants who indicate on the admission application that they plan to apply for financial aid but subsequently notify the Office of Admission or Student Financial Services that they no longer intend to apply for aid.This policy does not apply to federal aid.)

Financial Aid Eligibility

Financial aid eligibility is the difference between the estimated student budget (tuition, room and board, fees, books and personal expenses, travel expenses) and the family contribution.

The Family Contribution

The College uses a combination of institutional and federal methodologies to calculate a family contribution. The family contribution consists of a parental and a student contribution. In determining the parental contribution a number of factors are considered including: parent taxable income and untaxed income, parental assets, number of dependents in the household, and the number of dependent children attending undergraduate institutions. The student contribution is determined after a review of student income and assets, including trusts. Students are expected to contribute 25% of the value of their assets each year and a minimum expected contribution of $2,750.

Learn more about our financial aid policies.

Note: Students may apply for federal financial aid without applying for aid from the College. For information about applying for federal aid please review: Federal Student Aid.