Student Health Insurance
Insurance Is Required
Massachusetts state law requires that all students have medical insurance. To meet its legal obligations, the College enrolls and bills all eligible students for the Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan. This fee may be waived if the student's family insurance meets the Massachusetts state requirements and if the insurance is waived online by the waiver deadline. The waiver deadline for 2013-14 academic year is September 10, 2013. State and federal health insurance plans (such as Medicaid) do not meet the requirements and cannot be used to waive the student health insurance plan.
Domestic students with need-based financial aid who do not waive the health insurance will be responsible for the health insurance fee in addition to the calculated family contribution.
Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan
2013/2014 Coverage Dates:August 15, 2013, to August 14, 2014
All eligible students are enrolled and billed for the Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan
- The plan offers comprehensive benefits that include hospital room and board, inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures, labs and x-rays, chemotherapy and radiation, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, physician office visits, consultant visits, ambulance and emergency care.
- The maximum benefit allowed for each accident or sickness is $500,000.
- Services provided by a participating network provider are generally covered at 100%, while services provided by a non-network provider are generally covered at 80%.
- The PrePaid On-Campus Health Care coverage is included with enrollment in the Student Injury and Sickness plan
- Please refer to the Brochures and Plan Documents for complete details about coverage, limitations, and exclusions.
- For More Information About Health Insurance please read the information provided on the MHC Health Services website regarding the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- If you are a student athlete, please see refer to our health services website for information about sports injury coverage.
If you have questions on any of the insurance policies described in this material, contact:
Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk
500 Victory Road, Quincy, MA 02171
Telephone: 800-433-7815 or 617-769-6038
Email: Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk
- If you are an eligible student (see Brochure) you will be billed $1,655 on your fall tuition bill for annual coverage.
- If you are a student newly enrolled for the spring semester, you will be billed $945 on your spring tuition bill.
- If you waive coverage, the fees will be removed from your tuition bill.
- If you elect the Pre-Paid On-Campus Health Care, you should include $220 for annual coverage with your fall payment, or $110 for fall or spring only.
- Questions about billings should be emailed to Student Financial Services.
An Annual Choice Must Be Made:
- Do not waive and remain enrolled in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan which includes the PrePaid On-Campus Health Care coverage ($1,655 automatically billed).
- Waive coverage in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan and enroll in the PrePaid On-Campus Health Care coverage (cost $220 after waiver of $1,435).
- Waive participation in both plans and maintain only private insurance which meets or exceeds Massachusetts Qualifying Student Health Insurance Program requirements in the Mount Holyoke area.
The waiver process must be completed annually and can only be done online. (Note: Students currently covered under state or federal insurance plans may not waive the College’s health insurance.)
International students do not have access to the waiver process and cannot waive coverage unless they are enrolled in an Embassy plan/employer based plan that provides comprehensive U.S. based coverage. Plans must be preapproved by Gallagher before a waiver will be processed.
- Log onto www.gallagherstudent.com/MountHolyoke
- Select the Blue “I Want to Waive/Enroll” button. When waiving the insurance, have your current health insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver form.
- Your username will be your Mount Holyoke College Email address. Your password will be your CID number. If your CID number is less than nine digits, add zero's to the left. Example (123456 becomes 000123456).
- Once the waiver is completed, a confirmation email will be sent acknowledging the request for waiver, a second email will be sent when the waiver request is approved or denied.
- See Waiver Process for more information, including coverage requirements.
The policy may not be canceled voluntarily
If you are enrolled in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan and withdraw from the College within the first 31 days of the period for which the coverage is purchased (for any reason other than medical) your participation will be canceled, and you will receive a full refund. If you withdraw after the first 31 days of the coverage period, you will remain covered for the period for which premium was received, and no refund will be available. You may not cancel for any other reason.
Insurance/Prescription ID Card
If you are enrolled in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan, the insurance/prescription ID card will be in your mail box when you arrive on campus. If you are enrolled in the plan, and do not receive your card, contact Student Financial Services or Gallagher Student Health and Special Risk for assistance. If you waived coverage and still received a card, this indicates that you are enrolled in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan. If you do not want to be enrolled, it is imperative that you contact Student Financial Services for assistance immediately. Do not wait to email Student Financial Services. You will remain enrolled and will be responsible for the insurance fee. Do Not Use the Card.
- If you use the insurance plan ID card to receive medical treatment or to obtain prescription drugs, you will not be permitted to waive coverage.
Other Insurance Information
Additional coverage that is available for purchase include:
- Insured students can also enroll their eligible Dependant/Spouse on the Student Health Insurance Plan. See Student Financial Services for information.
- The College provides Medical Evacuation/Repatriation insurance for all enrolled students traveling on College sponsored educational programs. ID cards will be distributed through program administrators or upon request.
- Questions pertaining to this coverage should be directed to the Five College Risk Manager, 413-538-2731.
Descriptions of coverages or services on this page is for informational purposes only. In the event of any conflict between this page and any other description of the services provided and any insurance policies, the actual insurance policy will control.