GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits.
DEA benefits are paid directly to the student. Monthly rates are $1,224 per month in the 2018-19 academic year, pro-rated by number of days in the academic calendar.
You must be the child or spouse of:
- A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
- A service member missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
- A service member forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A service member who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit to the VA Form 22-5490 Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance or apply online through VONAPP. You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (which may take several weeks).
- You must submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to MHC’s Student Financial Services in 16 Skinner Hall or fax to 413-538-2512.
More information can be found on the VA website.