Grant aid does not need to be repaid and may be funded by the following sources:

  1. Mount Holyoke College
  2. Federal Government
  3. State Government
  4. Outside Sources (employer, agency, etc.)

Mount Holyoke College Grants

Need based College grants are based on demonstrated financial aid eligibility as determined by the College. Funding is provided by endowment earnings, the annual operating budget, and gifts from alumnae, parents, and friends. Grants funded by the College include Mary Lyon Grant, Mount Holyoke Grant and the Health Insurance Grant.

Note: If a student receives a federal or state grant that was not included in the original financial aid package, the Mount Holyoke grant is reduced by the amount of the federal, state, or provincial funding. This additional grant does not reduce the family contribution. If a student does not meet the appropriate deadline or complete the required paperwork to determine eligibility for federal or state grants, College grant will not make up the lost government funding.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Students with high demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal guidelines, are eligible for the Pell grant. For information about the Pell grant, including how Pell grant eligibility is determined and the range of the Pell grant amount awarded in the current academic year, please review the Federal Student Aid website.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG grants range from $500 to $1,500 and are included in the financial aid package of students with high demonstrated financial need, as determined by the College, and who are also eligible for the Pell grant .

State Grants

Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Vermont offer scholarship and grant programs for students who are residents of those states. Applicants for the Massachusetts State Scholarship must reside in Massachusetts for at least one year prior to receiving the scholarship. High school guidance counselors or state scholarship offices can provide eligibility and deadline information. 

Employer Benefit

When a parent receives a tuition benefit through their employer, this funding is treated as an outside scholarship.