Special Circumstances Financial Aid Eligibility and Policies

Divorced or Separated Parents

In determining a student's eligibility for institutional need-based assistance the College considers information from both parents.  We consider a student's family - regardless of separation, divorce, or willingness to contribute - as primarily responsible for paying for their student's education. If parents are remarried, financial information from their current spouses is also considered.

If you have special circumstances regarding a divorced or separated parental situation, please complete the Noncustodial Parent Waiver Request and submit with third party documentation to Student Financial Services.

Request for Reconsideration

Student Financial Services accepts requests for reconsideration of a family contribution under certain circumstances including financial support of an elderly parent, unreimbursed medical expenses, or long-term loss of employment. We will consider loss of employment that occurs during the year that the student is applying for aid during the second semester of the academic year. Any additional aid awarded will be applied only to the second semester.  We are unable to consider requests for reconsideration based on circumstances such as cash flow shortages, home repair costs or consumer debt. Requests for reconsideration must be accompanied by documentation.

Students may request an extension of aid past the eight semester or 128 credit limit by emailing or writing Student Financial Services with the request and providing supporting documentation regarding the need for an additional semester.  If the additional semester is needed because of an earlier medical leave, students should ask Health Services to email Student Financial Services with verification of the medical leave. Requests for additional aid that are not due to medical reasons must receive the support of the academic dean and the student’s advisor. Students should consult with SFS and academic dean if considering a request for financial aid funding for an additional semester or additional credits.  Students may also request that up to eight (8) transfer credits not be considered in calculating funding limitations if the coursework was needed to make up for credits that were attempted but not earned while at Mount Holyoke and the credits were earned after enrolling at Mount Holyoke.