International Students

The Family Contribution

An international student's family contribution is determined upon admission to the College, and is based on an assessment of the family's income and asset information provided on the necessary forms. Mount Holyoke uses a standard institutional formula to determine the family contribution. When calculating the family contribution, the College considers such factors as total parent income (including taxable and untaxed income), parental assets, number of dependents in the household, and number of dependent children attending undergraduate institutions in the United States.

The same family contribution will be required each year until graduation. (Small increases in the family contribution will occur, due to changes in the packaged job amount.) Due to limited funding, requests for reconsideration of the family contribution cannot be considered regardless of changes in individual circumstances.

Why is the family contribution shown on the Certificate of Finances and the Financial Aid Award Letter $200 higher than the family contribution shown on Financial Aid Online?

The Certificate of Finances and the Financial Aid Award Letter reflect the amount you should expect to pay to Mount Holyoke. The work-study portion of your award ($2100) is meant to cover the expected $1900 Personal/Books part of your budget. Since work-study is earned throughout the academic year and is not deducted from your bill, the extra $200 of work-study funds allotted cannot be deducted from your billed charges either - and so your total bill, after the other awards are deducted, is $200 more than your expected family contribution shown on Financial Aid Online and used to determine your overall financial aid award, including work-study.

Funding Limitations

Institutional funding for international students entering as first year students is limited to eight semesters. In addition, if an international student re-classifies, moving up her class year in order to graduate sooner than initially anticipated, she cannot then re-classify back to her original class year and expect to receive financial assistance. Please note that for matriculated students, credits transferred to the College due to a semester or year of study abroad or academic leave will count toward the eight-semester limit, whether or not financial aid from the College was provided for these credits.

Important: To be considered for financial aid, an international applicant must apply for financial assistance at the same time as she applies for admission. The intent to apply for financial aid must be indicated on the admission application.

Students who indicate on the admission application that they will not apply for financial aid will not be considered for aid after they have been accepted to the College (and for their remaining enrollment).

If a student is determined to have financial aid eligibility, the College puts together a financial aid package, which generally consists of a combination of grant, loan, and student employment aid. These three types of assistance are funded by institutional sources. Students should note that, according to U.S. tax regulations, any portion of a grant that covers all or part of room and board costs may be taxable and may also be subject to tax withholding. Any portion of a grant covering tuition is not taxable.