How to Apply for an External Grant

The Sponsored Research Office is here to help faculty apply for external grants from both government agencies and private funders, and as both prime awardees and subawardees.

Allow at least 5 days for all internal approvals – more is better!

  1. Forward solicitation link/deadline information to the Sponsored Research Officer, Laura Bundesen (lbundese(at) as soon as identified.
  2. Download and fill out the following forms: Grant Routing Sheet (for NEH Fellowship or Summer Stipend proposals, use the Grant Routing Sheet for Fellowships)and Financial Disclosure Form (required for NSF or NIH proposals).
  3. Construct a budget for approval using the Financial Services Budget Template. and post to ella dropbox. See Grant Budget Information & Rates and Other Resources for information. Your budget will be approved by the Sponsored Research Officer,  Laura Bundesen (lbundese(at) and by Liz Stone (estone(at),  Grant Accounting, to ensure compliance with both Agency and Mount Holyoke guidelines.
  4. Write a proposal according to the guidelines. We can assist with institutional data or boilerplate, and are happy to review drafts at any stage.
  5. Post the grant routing sheet (as complete as possible), draft proposal, required forms and budget to your ella drop box located on the Spons Research tab. 
  6. When you are posting the final document to your dropbox, please request that an email be “sent to instructor”.  The ella system will generate an email to all required approvers.
  7. If using fastlane or another government portal, please permit SRO access so we may review on line.

Good luck!