It's All In The Details
Planning an event shouldn’t be stressful or overwhelming – it should be fun and rewarding. But event planning does require attention to detail and good time management. If you are a seasoned event planner -- you might find that using the required Event Registration Form (ERF) as a planning tool and reminder checklist ahead of time will serve you well. Even the experts use outlines and checklists so they don't forget important details. You will also need to review the specific campus Event Policies.
If you are new to event planning -- or you are considering an initiative that pioneers new ground for you and your organization -- come talk with us. The professional staff in the Office of Student Programs are folks who have been planning, and managing events and advising programmers for years. We are here to help.
Please feel encouraged to call x2478 for an appointment or stop into the office (Blanchard 327).
Event Planning Basics
Below is a list of some of the key event planning points to consider. This list may not address every element of your particular creative project, it is just a place to get started. As your ideas begin to take shape, consider having a brainstorming session with the Student Programs Event Coordinator and remember that event planning is a perfect time to exercise your best team building and leadership skills, and your commitments to inclusiveness and green initiatives.
- Designing the Event: What are your Goals and Visions for this Event? Who will attend?
- Who is responsible for the event? Sponsors, Co-sponsors, and staffing
- Event Budgeting: Estimating your Human and Financial Resources
- Choosing a Date and Time for your event
- Choosing a Location for your event
- Special considerations for Outdoor Events
- Selecting, inviting, negotiating and contracting your entertainment (DJ/band/performer, etc.).
- Turning dream schemes into action - Deadlines, and Registering your Event
- Contingency Plans: rainsites, snowstorms, rescheduling, etc…
- Food & Beverages; Catering and Bartending
- Lights, Sound, Projections
- Furniture & Room Set ups
- Custodial, Housekeeping Services
- Parking for your Presenters and Audience
- Keeping your event Safe & Compliant
- Thinking Green with your event planning
- Creating Inclusive Events
- Decorations, costumes, props, prizes, etc..
- Printing tickets and creating your Box Office Plan
- Marketing and Publicity
- Friday Night Live programming options