If you want to take an intermediate or advanced course in a subject without taking the prerequisite course, you must get permission from the appropriate department. Entering an intermediate or advanced course does not guarantee that a distribution requirement will be met in that discipline.

Questions about Credit Transfer

Mount Holyoke welcomes students who have advanced preparation and, in many cases, awards credit for advanced work. All students must complete 128 academic credits to graduate from Mount Holyoke. At least 64 of these credits must be earned at Mount Holyoke or through the Five College interchange.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Mount Holyoke participates in the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Entrance Examination Board. A student who has received a grade of 4 or 5 on an Advanced Placement examination of the College Entrance Examination Board in a subject approved for credit by the appropriate College department shall receive 4 elective credits, unless they have also earned transferable credit for a similar course. Advanced Placement credits may not be used for distribution. A copy of the score report from the College Entrance Examination Board should mailed directly to the Registrar if you plan to seek credit.

Credit for A-Level Exams, the International Baccalaureate, and Other International Exams

Students who successfully complete A-Level Exams, the International Baccalaureate, the Arbitur, or similar examinations may be granted college credit. For example, eight credits are awarded for a single A-Level Exam with a grade of C or better for a maximum of 24 credits for 3 exams; 32 credits are awarded for the International Baccalaureate diploma earned with a score of 36 or higher.

These credits may be used for exemption from distribution requirements if approved by the relevant department. In English and foreign languages, these credits may—with the permission of the department—enable a student to enter more advanced Mount Holyoke courses and be applied toward distribution requirements.

Students should have their examination results sent directly to the Office of the Registrar by September. During Orientation, students will be advised of the probable course of action to be taken on their examinations.

Transfer Credit

If you took classes in this most recent semester, please be sure to request a final and official copy of your transcript and send it to the Office of Transfer Affairs or The Frances Perkins Office. Before you matriculate, the Registrar will officially evaluate your credits and post them to your Mount Holyoke transcript. The Registrar's Office maintains your official records and will be available to address any questions about credit that were not resolved over the summer.

The College will grant credit for most college work that you have already completed, providing the final course grade was the equivalent of C- or better. Ordinarily, credits are transferable for all liberal arts courses. For further information, see the transfer information on the Registrar's website.