Bearing Witness | Events | Speakers | Seminars | Resources
"What's Luck got to do with it?": The Extraordinary in Art and Life Rachel Rosenthal
- Bonney, Jo, ed. Extreme Exposure: An Anthology of Solo Performance Texts from the Twentieth Century. New York: Theatre Communications Group, 2000.
- Champagne, Lenora, ed. Out from Under: Texts by Women Performance Artists. New York: Theatre Communications Group, 1990.
- Rosenthal, Rachel. Rachel’s Brain and Other Storms: The Performance Scripts of Rachel Rosenthal. Edited by Una Chaudhuri. London, New York: Continuum, 2001.
- Rosenthal, Rachel. Tatti Wattles: A Love Story. Santa Monica: Smart Art Press, 1996.
- Roth, Moira, ed. Rachel Rosenthal. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997.
- Zurbrugg, Nicholas, ed. Art, Performance, Media: 31 Interviews. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2004.
"Grassroots Gumption": Populism and Political Action
- Hightower, Jim. Hard Tomatoes, Hard Times: The Original Hightower Report and Other Recent Reports. Transaction Publishers, 1978.
- Hightower, Jim. If the Gods Had Meant Us to Vote, They'd Have Given us Candidates. Harper Perennial, 2001.
- Hightower, Jim. Let's Stop Beating Around The Bush. New York: Penguin Group, 2004.
- Hightower, Jim. Swim against the Current: Even a Dead Fish Can Go With the Flow New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Hoboken, 2008.
- Hightower, Jim. There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos: A Work of Political Subversion. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 1997.
- Hightower, Jim. Thieves in High Places: They've Stolen Our Country--And It's Time to Take It Back. New York: The Penguin Group, 2004.
- Asian Americans for Obama."Legendary Texas Populist Jim Hightower to Endorse Obama"Asian Americans for Obama, February 14, 2008.
- Hightower, Jim. "Immigrants Come Here Because Globalization Took Their Jobs Back There" Hightower Lowdown, February 7, 2008.
- Hightower, Jim. "We're Mad as Hell and the Dems Aren't Listening" Hightower Lowdown, January 14, 2008.
- Hightower, Jim. "The People's Media Reaches More People Than FOX Does" Common Dreams Newscenter, June 15, 2004.
- Arrow, Keith. Meritocracy and Economic Inequality. Princeton University Press, 2000.
- Burns, Nancy. The Private Roots of Public Action: Gender, Equality, and Political Participation Harvard University Press, 2001.
- Lukacs, John. Democracy and Populism. Yale University Press, 2005.
- Macedo, Stephen. Democracy at Risk: How Political Choices Undermine Citizen Participation. Brookings Institution Press, 2005.
- Riker, William. Liberalism Against Populism: A Confrontation Between the Theory of Democracy and the Theory of Social Choice. Waveland Press 1988.
- Skocpol, Theda. Civic Engagement in American Democracy. Brookings Institution Press, 1999.
Truth and Reconciliation: Healing the Wounds of Racism
- Tutu, Desmond. The Words of Desmond Tutu. Edited by Naomi Tutu. New York: Newmarket Press, 2007.
- Mitchell Whitney, "One gift, one voice, one dream," Indiana Daily Student, January 16, 2007.
- Lozano, Alexandra "Naomi Tutu gives voice to voiceless," Campus Times, March 30, 2007.
- Fritzer Liz, "Naomi Tutu Lectures on Gender and Race," The Trinity Tripod, February 22, 2005, sec. A.
- Allen Ebekah, "Daughter of Archbishop discusses racism," The Daily Reveille, March 9, 2006, sec. News.
- Brooke James, "Tutu’s daughter takes an activists role," The New York Times, January 20, 1986, Monday, Late City Final Edition, Section A; Page 26.
- Fisher Mark, "Real conciliation,' healing just beginning’, Tutu's daughter says," Cox News Service, November 13, 1998, Domestic.
- Poole Sheila, "Tutu's daughter takes up African cause," Cox News Service, February 26, 2002 Tuesday, International News.
- Skorneck Carolyn, "Tutu's Daughter Says She Shares Her Father's Hopes for South Africa," The Associated Press, August 7, 1985, Wednesday, PM cycle, Domestic News.
- "Tutu’s daughter condemns U.S. policy toward South Africa," Xinhua General News Service, NOVEMBER 5, 1985.
Apartheid, Racism, and Reconciliation
- Batter, Michael. Reconciliation: The Ubunter Theology of Desmond Tutu. Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, 1997.
- Better, Shirley. Institutional Racism: A Primer on Theory and Strategies for Social Change. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield, 2002.
- Coombes, Annie E. History After Apartheid: Visual Culture and Public Memory in a Democratic South Africa. Durham: Duke University Press, 2003.
- Clarke, Nancy L., and William H. Worger. South Africa: The Rise and Fall of Apartheid. London: Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Dalton, C.H. A Practical Guide to Racism. New York: Gotham, 2007.
- Kivel, Paul. Uprooting Racism: How White People Con Work for Racial Justice. British Columbia: New Society Publishers, 2002.
- Sue, Derald Wing. Overcoming our Racism: The Journey to Liberation. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2003.
- Tutu, Desmond. No Future without Forgiveness. New York: Doubleday, 2000.
The Camera Doesn't Lie: Social Change via Documentary Filmmaking
Selected Works by Rory Kennedy
- Documentary Films
- Ghosts of Abu Ghraib (2007)
- Street Fight (2006; producer)
- Indian Point: Imagining the Unimaginable (2004)
- Pandemic: Facing AIDS (2003)
- The Execution of Wanda Jean (2002; producer)
- The Changing Face of Beauty (2000)
- American Hollow (1999)
- Epidemic Africa (1999)
- America Undercover: A Boy’s Life (1999)
- Related Works
- Aitken, Ian (ed.). Encyclopedia of the Documentary Film (New York: Routledge, 2006).
- Beattie, Keith. Documentary Screens: Non-Fiction Film and Television (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004).
- Bernard, Sheila Curran. Documentary Storytelling for Film and Videomakers (Burlington, MA: Focal Press, 2004).
- Rhodes, Gary and Springer, John Parris. Docufictions: Essays on the Intersection of Documentary and Fictional Filmmaking (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, 2006).
- Klotman, Phyllis and Cutler, Janet, eds. Struggles for Representation: African American Documentary Film and Video (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1999).
- McEnteer, James. Shooting the Truth: The Rise of American Political Documentaries (Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers, 2006).
- Stubbs, Liz. Documentary Filmmakers Speak (New York: Allworth Press, 2002).
"With Determined Spirits": Activism & Contemporary Women's Rights in Iran
Selected Books by Mehrangiz Kar
- Women’s Participation in Politics: Obstacles and Possibilities (Tehran: Roshangaran, 2001).
The Burned Palms (Tehran: Roshangaran, 2001).
- Legal Obstacles Against Political Development in Iran (Tehran: Qatreh, 2001).
- Violence Against Women in Iran (Tehran: Roshangaran, 2000).
- Legal Structure of the Family System in Iran (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1999).
- Elimination of Gender Discrimination: A Comparison of the Convention On Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and Iran’s Contemporary Laws (Tehran: Qatreh, 1999).
- Women’s Political Rights in Iran (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1997).
- Children of Addiction (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1996).
- Women in the Labor Market of Iran (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1994).
- The Quest for Identity: Iranian Women in History and Pre-History (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1992; co-authored with Shahla Lahiji.
- The Angel of Justice and Patches of Hell (Tehran: Roshangaran, 1991).
Selected Articles by Mehrangiz Kar
- "Shari’a Law in Iran" (English) in Radical Islam’s Rules: The Worldwide Spread of Extreme Shari’a Law edited by Paul Marshall, Freedom House’s Center for Religious Freedom, 2005.
- "Women and Civil Society in Iran" (English) in On Shifting Ground: Muslim Women in the Global Era, edited by Fereshteh Nouraie-Simone (New York: The Feminist Press at the City University of New York, 2005).
- "Women’s Strategies in Iran from the 1979 Revolution to 1999" (English) in Globalization, Gender and Religion: The Politics of Women’s Rights in Catholic and Muslim Contexts edited by Jane Bayes and Nayereh Tohidi (New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2001).
- "The Invasion of the Private Sphere in Iran" (English) in International Quarterly of the Social Sciences, Fall 2003.
- "The Women of Iran Look to the Future" in Mehregan 8 (4), Winter 2000.
Selected articles about Mehrangiz Kar
- Gewertz, Ken. "Mehrangiz Kar speaks truth to power," Harvard Gazette, 7 April 2005.
- Jones, Vanessa. "I would like to die in my country," The Boston Globe, 21 March 2006, C1.
- Nagorski, Andrew. "Voices in the Darkness; Essays by Iranian intellectuals reveal the complexity of life caught between the mullahs and modernity." Newsweek, 24 April 2006.
Related Books, Essays, and Articles
- Derayeh, Minoo. Gender Equality in Iranian History: From Pre-Islamic Times to the Present (Lewiston, New York: Edwin Mellen Press, 2006).
- Ebadi, Shirin. Iran Awakening: From Prison to Peace Prize: One Woman’s Struggle at the Crossroads of History (Toronto: A. A. Knopf Canada, 2006).
- Hakakian, Roya. Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran (New York: Crown Publishers, 2004).
- Johanyak, Debra. Behind the Veil: An American Woman’s Memoir of the 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis (Akron, Ohio: University of Akron Press, 2007).
- Moghadam, Valentine M. "Islamic Feminism and Its Discontents: Toward A Resolution of the Debate," Signs 27 (4) Summer 2002, 1135 – 1171.
- Mojab, Shahrzad. "Theorizing the Politics of ‘Islamic Feminism," Feminist Review: The Realm of the Possible: Middle Eastern Women in Political and Social Spaces, Winter 2001, 124 – 146.
- Naghibi, Nima. Rethinking Global Sisterhood: Western Feminism and Iran (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2007).
- Osanloo, Arzoo. "Islamico-Civil ‘Rights Talk’: Women, Subjectivity, and Law in Iranian Family Court," American Ethnologist 33 (2) May 2006, 191 – 209.
- Povey, Elaheh Rostami. "Feminist Contestations of Institutional Domains in Iran," Feminist Review: The Realm of the Possible: Middle Eastern Women in Political and Social Spaces, Winter 2001, 44 – 72.
- Sedghi, Hamideh. Women and Politics in Iran: Veiling, Unveiling, and Reveiling (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007).
- Yeganeh, Nahid. "Women, Nationalism and Islam in Contemporary Political Discourse in Iran," Feminist Review: Nationalisms and National Identities, Summer 1993, 3 – 18.
- Zaganeh, Lila Azam (ed.). My sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes (Boston: Beacon Press, 2006).
Other Resources - Websites and Web Articles
- Daily general news of Iran
- Human Rights Watch
- "Down to Business: The Human Rights Council's Backlog of Work." Human Rights Watch, September 10, 2007.
- "Human Rights Watch Letter to U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates on Iranians Held by the US in Iraq." Human Rights Watch, July 16, 2007.
- "Iran Leads the World in Executing Children: New Executions Highlight Arbitrary Nature of Iranian Justice." Human Rights Watch, June 20, 2007.
- "Is There a Human Rights Double Standard? US Policy Toward Saudi Arabia, Iran, Uzbekistan, and Pakistan." Testimony by Tom Malinowski, Human Rights Watch,
US House of Representatives Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights, and Oversight, June 14, 2007.
- "Iran: National Security Laws Used to Jail Women's Rights Activists: Six Women's Rights Advocates Receive Lengthy Prison Sentences." Human Rights Watch, April 27, 2007.
- Kusha, Hamid R. The Sacred Law of Islam: A case study of women's treatment in the Islamic Republic of Iran's criminal justice system. Aldershot, England: Dartmouth Publishing Company, 2002.
- Moghadam, Valentine M. Moderning Women: Gender and Social Change in the Middle East, 2nd edition. Boulder, Colorado: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2003.
- Sonbol, Amira El-Azhary, ed., Beyond the Exotic: Women's Histories in Islamic Societies. New York: Syracuse University Press, 2005.
Letters to a Young Teacher
Selected Books by Jonathan Kozol
- Ordinary Resurrections: Children in the Years of Hope (New York: Crown, 2000).
Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation (New York: Crown, 1995).
- Savage Inequalities: Children in America's schools (New York: Harper Perennial, 1992).
- The Night is Dark and I Am Far from Home (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1990).
- Rachel and Her Children: Homeless Families in America (New York: Crown 1988).
- Illiterate America (Garden City, NY: Anchor/Doubleday. 1985).
- Free Schools (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1972).
- Prisoners of Silence: Breaking the Bonds of Adult Illiteracy in the United States (New York: Continuum, 1980).
- Children of the Revolution: A Yankee teacher in the Cuban schools (New York: Delacorte, 1978).
- Death at an Early Age (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1967).
Related Books, Essays, and Articles
- Francosi, Robert. The Rise and Fall of American Public Schools: The Political Economy of Public Education in the Twentieth Century (Westport, CT: Praeger, 2004)
- Holmes, Madelyn. Lives of Women Public Schoolteachers: Scenes from American Educational History (New York: Garland, 1995).
- Orfield, Gary. Public School Desegregation in the United States, 1968 – 1980 (Washington, D. C., Joint Center for Political Studies, 1983).
- Reese, William. America’s Public Schools: From the Common School to "No Child Left Behind" (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005).
- Rothstein, Stanley. Schooling the Poor: A Social Inquiry into the American Educational Experience (Westport, CT, Bergin & Garvey, 1994).