Spring Admits

You’re a springie — congratulations!

Each year the College receives many more applications from qualified candidates than we have space for in the fall class. Because study abroad patterns create midyear availability in our classes and residence halls, we’re able — and excited — to admit a cohort of first-year students for spring entry. Read what some of our current springies are up to below.

We don’t give everyone the option to start in spring. If you were chosen for spring entry, consider yourself determined, mature, resilient and ready for adventure! These are the characteristics we consider when selecting applicants for spring term entry.

Campus Voices

The Springie Perspective

How many students are admitted for the spring semester?

While enrollment varies from year to year, approximately 40 first-year students matriculate each spring. Additionally, there are always a number of transfer students and first-year students who defer their admission from the fall semester to the spring semester, increasing the number of students entering midyear.

Will I be able to graduate after only three-and-a-half years at Mount Holyoke?

Those who want to graduate in three-and-a-half years after entering Mount Holyoke are often able to develop a workable plan. These students typically choose one or some combination of the following strategies:

  1. Applying elective credits earned through Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or other advanced exams.
  2. Transferring college credits earned during high school.
  3. Transferring college credits earned (as a nondegree-seeking student) during the fall before January enrollment at Mount Holyoke (see section on “Academic Work in the United States” below). You may complete up to 16 credits during the fall, and these credits may complement any others accepted for transfer that you earned during high school.
  4. Transferring college credits earned this fall through a program abroad (see section on “Study Abroad” below).
  5. Transferring college credits earned after entering Mount Holyoke during one or more summers or January intersession periods.
  6. Taking additional classes per semester at Mount Holyoke.

Students are advised to consult our degree requirement and transfer credit guidelines to understand applicable Mount Holyoke policies.

Is there an orientation for springies?

Yes, there is an orientation for all new students who enter the College midyear. The Division of Student Life coordinates spring orientation and mirrors the fall orientation as much as possible. Because fewer students enroll midyear, new students benefit from a more intimate program in which there is more time to forge relationships with current and other new students.

How are midyear roommates assigned?

Many students admitted for the spring semester will share rooms with other springies, while others will be housed with first-year students who entered in the fall. Students who enter midyear complete the same roommate registration process as those who enter in the fall.

Is there a chance that I could be moved from spring to fall admission?

It may be possible, and you can indicate that preference on the Fall Entry Interest Form after submitting your enrollment reply form and nonrefundable deposit by May 1, 2024. Space in the fall class is determined throughout the summer. If space becomes available and we are able to accept your request, you will be notified.

How can I spend my time during the fall before my start at Mount Holyoke?

Many of our springies have used the fall to conduct independent research, do volunteer or paid work, or engage in internships or international programs. How your time in the fall is spent is completely up to you!

Any of these options are wonderful choices. Some may result in credits that can transfer to Mount Holyoke, and others may be amazing experiences that enrich students’ lives and inform their college education in other ways. We offer the following information as a starting point and encourage students to craft a plan that serves their goals.

Mount Holyoke College will grant transfer credit for applicable courses completed at regionally accredited institutions in the United States. As mentioned above, enrolling in a few appropriate fall courses elsewhere can be a great strategy for students hoping to graduate within three-and-a-half years. The Registrar’s website describes the general policies applicable to transfer credit. The Registrar urges all spring admits to write to us before enrolling in college courses, to tell us the institution and the courses, so we can pre-review the courses and confirm eligibility for transfer.

In order to receive credit, students will need to send an official transcript at the end of the fall semester to:

Office of the Registrar
Mary Lyon Hall
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01075-1498

The universities and organizations listed below will consider applications for fall semester from students who have not yet begun their college studies. We recommend that students contact programs of interest directly to inquire about requirements and admission.

Mount Holyoke College will grant credit for appropriate academic courses (excluding internships and service learning) completed with these universities or programs, subject to College’s policies on credit transfer. Students may be able to transfer credit for work completed in other programs or at universities abroad, but transfer of credit is not guaranteed. All students should carefully evaluate program options and seek advice from the Office of the Registrar in advance about credit transfer.

  • American Universities Abroad
    AUA is a group of thirteen private American Universities located outside of the United States. AUA Universities are US regionally accredited, non-profit, and operate on US academic credit systems. Locations include Austria, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and Switzerland.
    Email: americano2015@gmail.com

  • Arcadia Gap Semester in London
    Earn a semester of college-level credit while exploring the culture and excitement of a major global city.
    Email: educationabroad@arcadia.edu

  • Aspire by API
    Gap semester programs in Argentina, Chile, France, Ireland, Italy and Spain; courses taught in English or the host country’s language, depending on location.
    Email: api@apiabroad.com

  • Spanish Studies Abroad
    Programs in Alicante and Seville, Spain; courses taught in English or Spanish, depending on the location.
    Email: info@spanishstudies.org

  • CET Explore Programs
    Programs in China, Japan, Jordan and Italy. Learn a language and explore a new culture with curated advising and support.
    Email: cet@cetacademicprograms.com

  • College Year in Athens, Greece
    Courses taught in English in a wide range of subjects focusing on ancient and modern Greece.
    Email: info@cyathens.org

  • School for Field Studies
    Programs taught in English in environmental studies in Australia, Bhutan, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, Tanzania and the Turks & Caicos Islands. Prerequisite of one college-level course in ecology, biology, environmental science/studies or a related field as determined by School for Field Studies.
    Email: admissions@fieldstudies.org

  • Sea Education Association
    On campus in Woods Hole, MA followed by a month-long sailing component.
    Email: admissions@sea.edu

  • Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul, S. Korea
    Courses taught in English for international students.
    Email: inbound.exchange@sm.ac.kr

  • University College Dublin
    Enroll in regular university courses alongside local students.
    Email: katherine.mulfaul@ucd.ie

  • University of Limerick, Ireland
    Enroll in regular university courses alongside local students.
    Email: study.abroad@ul.ie

  • University of Stirling, Scotland
    Enroll in regular university courses alongside local students.
    Email: study-abroad@stir.ac.uk

Please note that although some of these programs may issue transcripts and award credit through university partnerships, these credits will not transfer under Mount Holyoke’s policies on credit transfer.

In most instances, plans to do community service or other volunteer work are made through social service agencies in the student’s community. Many students who choose Mount Holyoke are deeply committed to community service and are eager to continue their efforts during the fall semester. Some elect to explore their professional interests through internships at local organizations or businesses. No credit is granted for volunteer, community service or internship activities.

  • Global Citizen Year
    Programs in Brazil, Ecuador, India and Senegal. Language study and fellowships.
    Email: info@globalcitizenyear.org

  • CIEE Gap Semester Programs
    Programs in Australia, Chile, China, Dominican Republic, France, Italy, Japan, Jordan and Spain. Language study, community service and/or internships, depending on location.
    Email: hsabroad@ciee.org

Some students take advantage of this time by exploring work opportunities. Earning money through part time or full time employment is a great way to save up for your college expenses. Work experience will also sharpen your professional skills that will help you inside and beyond the classroom.

Still have questions about what it means to enroll midyear? Wondering how to spend your fall semester prior to attending Mount Holyoke? Let’s chat! Kim Parent, our Academic Dean of New Students and the Office of Admission are here to help you.

Contact us

The Office of Admission is dedicated to helping students begin their college journey at Mount Holyoke.