ESL/ELL Additional License
Graduate & Professional
This English Language Learners (ELL) coursework provides students with the core competencies they need to be able to work effectively with culturally and linguistically diverse students - including emergent bilinguals (English language learners). The coursework will prepare you to apply independently to Massachusetts for an additional license in English Language Learners.
The English language learners programs include courses on second language acquisition theory, English language teaching methods and how to apply this knowledge to content learning. Students will learn about the structure, meaning and context of language, and how to develop effective instructional plans and assessment. We also examine relevant social and cultural factors that impact culturally and linguistically diverse teaching and learning.
At the end of the program, students will be able to apply knowledge, analyze and evaluate:
- linguistic and sociolinguistic concepts, processes and stages of language acquisition
- theory, research, and best practices for language instruction and development
- assessing reading, writing, aural and oral language skills
- socio-emotional and sociocultural factors that influence the teaching and learning of English language learners
- learners' social and academic language proficiency, as well as content-area learning
These courses may be taken in any order, at your own pace.