Dual Degree Program with Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth College

If you choose the five-year Dartmouth program you will spend your junior year at Dartmouth College taking engineering courses. You will then return to Mount Holyoke for your senior year and earn your A.B. from Mount Holyoke. Following graduation from Mount Holyoke you will then spend an additional year at Dartmouth’s Thayer School of Engineering to be eligible to earn a bachelor of engineering (B.E.).

Additional Steps for Applying to Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth

In addition to submitting the MHC Application for a dual-degree in engineering, students complete an application to Thayer. Admission to the program is by Thayer in consultation with the MHC Engineering Committee

  1. Apply directly to Thayer by February 1 of your sophomore year.
  2. Complete an MHC application for Academic Leave of Absence for US study by March 1 of your sophomore year.  Filing his form does not oblige you to take the leave of absence; in fact, the March 1 deadline is normally before Thayer notifies students about whether they have been accepted.

Financial aid

Students seeking financial aid apply to MHC for an Engineering Scholarship for the third year and to Thayer for financial aid for the fifth year.

In support of year three, you can apply for the competitive MHC Engineering Scholarship using the MHC Application for a Dual Degree in Engineering. Funding meeting full need is not guaranteed for scholarship recipients attending Dartmouth.  There is no aid from Thayer for dual degree students in year three. In year five, there is limited financial aid available through Thayer.

Choosing courses

Courses to take in your first two years at Mount Holyoke

  • Mathematics through multivariable calculus (MATH 203)
  • Linear algebra (MATH 211)
  • 2 semesters of calculus-based physics covering mechanics and electromagnetism (PHYS 110-201)
  • one course in general chemistry (CHEM 150)
  • one course in computer science (COMSC 151 or COMSC 151)
  • If you are interested in biotechnology or biochemical engineering you should also take biology (BIO 145).
  • If you are interested in chemical engineering you should take one year of introductory chemistry (CHEM 150, CHEM 231) and one year of organic chemistry (CHEM 202, CHEM 302).
  • If you are intending to go into computer engineering you should take data structures (COMSC 150).

Dartmouth requires 8 non-STEM courses to graduate. They anticipate 2-3 can be completed at Dartmouth in your first year there. Please note this means AT LEAST five non-STEM courses at Mount Holyoke. Generally, you should plan to take one non-STEM course each semester. Dartmouth is a liberal arts college, and expects its applicants to embrace the liberal arts along with engineering.

For more details, see the Dual-Degree Program at Thayer School of Engineering.